Is the empowerment of women ALWAYS....ok...almost always...:)  for the betterment of society?

....You can guess

My answer Is....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think?

Why?

For the purpose of this discussion: We must first define the empowerment of women. Please see this video. Women have only recently with the invention of modern medicine been able to control their reproductive health and choice. They have become much more equal in the workforce. They have been allowed to raise their children with infrastructure in place to aid them financially and emotionally. They have been given many rights that in previous generations were defaulted to the man, such as the right to vote, the right to join the armed forced and even the right to say no to sex and be heard. These rights have not come over night. But we now have them and many take them for granted. Myself included maybe. But the empowerment of women is more than just giving them rights. It's being able and willing as a society to recognize their humanity and honor it as just as important as a man's humanity. This means that special considerations must be made due to the nature of women as the child bearers and mothers. It doesn't mean special treatment or putting women above men, it means elevating them to a place where they can make the most of their lives and the lives of their children, and the society they live in. It means allowing them to use their unique skills and influence to counteract the sometimes male-dominated attitudes that prevail in public life, and it means that women MUST be respected for the natural born abilities they can bring to others, but even more so their ability to be authentically themselves without societal pressure to conform to old ways of thinking and living. It is the only way  our species will survive and has survived. Women have sought empowerment and have won in many ways, but in my opinion and the point of this discussion is to say that there is NEVER a circumstance where the empowerment of women would be detrimental to society, therefore it is ALWAYS for the betterment of society.

Views: 1335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would indeed be a proper equivalence. Thanks, I never seen that one before.

I believe it may well apply here... In modern society, women are plenty empowered to do whatever they want. They can go for the top jobs, there is no barrier to that except for the same barriers opposed to men. If women rarely apply, of course men will fill more of those positions.

I firmly believe that if women are empowered, it is for the benefit of everyone.  It means that men are free to be people too; society suddenly has access to the wisdom of women; and kids grow up more happy and healthy.  Freedom all round and a new respect for humanity. 

In the term "firmly believe", does the word "firmly" make evidence unnecessary?

Matt hasn't encountered Phyllis Schafly and her many women allies whose thinking has been poisoned by their religions.

Belle, I feel like you should spell out your position formally. 

Hi Belle, a large part of my objection was indeed the absolutism of the statement. Given that people around the world are not the same as people in modern western society, I agree that empowerment of women and men up to the point of equality with their contemporaries in western society, will lead humanity towards a better way of life for everyone.

I say women and men there because I don't believe empowerment of one group of people will result in the best outcome. Equality and equal empowerment is the best way forward, otherwise we will just see-saw between male dominated and female dominated society.

what is your example when A does not equal B

Please see my response to the original place where this is asked... I was asleep when you were posting this.

Maternity leave is a big problem for small businesses.  If you hire a woman of childbearing age, it is entirely possible that she will get pregnant and require maternity leave.  If you are a small company with say four employees, you can't really afford to pay for a quarter of your workforce not to be at work.  The net result is that you will most probably hire a guy, because you don't have the same potential issue.   This cannot help the cause for women at all.

Heres an example where empowering women (by giving them more maternity leave) would actually be a net negative to society as they become less employable. By elevating the parental leave available to men to a comparable level, the contrast between the two sexes goes away and the business will hire the one who is best for the position.

I really think that women are put upon by society. Not only are they expected to provide the next generation but to do it at their own expense for no other reward than the love they get from their families. I think women should be paid to have children and to raise them. It should be a career that should be as well paid as any other career.They should also trained for the pursuit of their career in the same way that anyone else who pursues a career. After all, they are producing the most important product that society needs - the next generation.

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Simon Paynton 39 minutes ago. 5 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 13 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 22 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service