"Don't go wearing that thing! You're pushing your atheism in other people's faces."

More drama from my theist fam on Saturday night. I was wearing an American Atheists pendant which I thought was harmless and [from personal experience] I had noticed that no theists I had met had recognized the meaning of it. However, my mom and dad were telling me not to wear it because "they were concerned about my safety." My dad said something to the point of "you never know when you'll advertise your atheism like that to the wrong person," and "the last thing I want to hear is that you've been sent to the hospital, or you're dead, and I'll know why!" - Given the fact that I never wear any atheist material that has any words, even the word "atheist" on it outside the house, because I know that it pisses people in this conservative town off, I was stunned by that statement. The pendant itself was EXTREMELY discrete. I tried to tell them that it never had attracted any negative attention from theists, who almost never know what it means. In fact, pretty much the only people who DO know what it means ARE ATHEISTS!
For anyone doubting me on how discrete it was, this is what it looked like:

Okay... so any disagreement? I would really like to know.

Secondly, my father told me he didn't want me to be an activist. I told him that it is my need and my duty to stick up for my civil rights.

He responded that he didn't want me to get hurt. And that I wouldn't be able to make any friends. [I don't reveal my atheism off the internet to people I don't know well enough to know if I can trust them with the info]. So I was just rolling my eyes.
I am grateful that they love me enough to care about my safety.
However, does anyone else think they're going overboard?

This particular incident didn't make me angry, it just made me question whether I SHOULD be activist and to feel a little afraid of being so. After all, although I discourage "Emotional reasoning" [saying something's true because it feels good], I couldn't help doubting what I thought was my duty due to my natural animal fear of pain or death.

So, any thoughts... what should I do?

Views: 2154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we Atheist have as much right to advertise promote and be proud of our beliefs as much as theists do.

Necklaces, t-shirts, tattoos, badges and any other paraphernalia u could think of is fine.

The more we make apparent to the rest of the world that we are not afraid to tell them they we believe we are right and that they are wrong the less we'll have to hide in the shadows. And maybe we can shut them up for once

And furthermore...where can I order that pendant can I get it online somewhere? :D

Thanks...

You can get it here..

American Atheists Pendant

It's the official symbol of the American Atheists Organization

LoL, you know you can "edit" your posts instead of deleting them and recreating them :P

Ok...the double helix, invisible pink unicorn, evolve fish, flying spaghetti monster, happy humanist, and the new elegant "A" symbol are all available at http://evolvefish.com/fish/jewelry.html

I'd get me the double helix in a heart beat if it weren't solid frekkin' gold!  If anyone sees an empty Darwin fish pendant that actually resembles the stylized car emblem version, please share!

wow that's really cool thanks!
Tsk tsk, your father helped proved that religion is exactly the opposite of what it preaches and that is the of a very violent nature.
thanks mate!

My parents did the same thing when i had a "Fight Racism" bumper sticker on my car. They wanted me to be quiet and nondescript because the KKK was founded just one county away and there were a lot of racists in our area. However when i brought home a girlfriend from India one day they freaked and i knew the reason why. It contrasted with their worldview as they were against interracial relationships.

Wearing a pendant doesn't make you an activist. It gives off a notice that "this is how i feel and i am proud of that". It's a part of who you are. I have told many people in my sleepy dead end hometown that i am atheist and not once has anyone wanted to fight me or threaten me because of that.

I think they're afraid of it becoming public knowledge you are atheist and how they will have to hear people saying bad things about you and casting judgement on them thinking they are bad parents because you're no longer indoctrinated.

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 4 hours ago. 5 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by Glen L 5 hours ago. 4 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 6 hours ago. 12 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 29 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 11 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service