Are Christians trying to take over the world?

The concept of dominionism is to say that they believe they have a God given right to rule all earthly institutions.

Personally I read this article and immediately thought it is bunk. I've heard many interviews from both Michelle Bachmann and Rick Perry and they are both just fundamentalist Christians. There's nothing that stands out to me in the way they talk or the things they say that is any different than any other Christian politician. Is dominionism real? Or is it just another coined phrase to justify fighting against the evils that religion creates in this world? We don't need another ism to justify that.  

Views: 647

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I've been reading up on her for most of the afternoon and am completely blown away by how often she just tells outright lies and false stories. It's ridiculous!

Oh! In your defense, I did find this in Lizza's article:

After the birth of her fourth child, in 1992, Bachmann left the I.R.S. to be a stay-at-home mother. The Bachmanns also began taking in foster children, all of whom were teen-age girls and many of whom had eating disorders. Bachmann’s motivation seems to have been to save the girls, in the same way that she had been saved. “In my heart, God put something in me toward young people that I wanted to make sure the Gospel would go out to young people,” she said, in 2006. “So that young people could come to know Jesus at an early age, the earlier the better, so that they wouldn’t have to go through those pitfalls.”

In total, the Bachmanns took in twenty-three girls; I spoke with one of them (she did not want her name used), who stayed with the Bachmanns for three and a half years and now lives in Colorado. She said, “I owe the Bachmanns everything. They offered me the structure I needed and taught me how to figure out goals. They really encouraged me to figure out who I was rather than who I was becoming. I turned my life around one hundred and eighty degrees.”

But in all fairness, following that it does say that she thinks that children should be paddled in school if the get "out of line" and that: "her foster children’s homework, she continued, 'had more to do with indoctrinating kids than educating kids. And the indoctrination had to do with anti-parent themes, anti-Biblical themes, anti-education themes, anti-academic themes.'"

Thanks for that. I like the idea of taking in teenage girls. I myself am working towards becoming a foster parent. Yes it's true you get benefits from the state to care for them but then when they are 18 and benefits cease you can adopt them "for real." I wouldn't be able to financially support a foster child on my own salary but I would with assistance. These are the kids no one wants. Everyone wants a cute baby from China, not the struggling abused teens right in their communities. I refuse to think of Michelle Bachmann as all bad. Although I suppose provided the evidence it does seem she falls into the dominionism category. Oh how fooled I have been!

I'm sorry you've seen the dark side of someone who inspired you so. There are probably lots of good people out there who care for these children like you do and live genuine, decent lives with upstanding values (well, ok, not tons of people, obviously...but there are good people out there doing great things). Gah!I just don't want you to become too disheartened! IMHO, there are very few politicians worth admiring...it is just the nature of their profession. I tread carefully if there is something I see in a politician that I like because there's always more 'spin' to unravel.

Belle, I, for one, never said she was all bad, just that she advocated Dominionism. Thomas Jefferson is one of my own heroes, yet I've devoted much of my life to the advocation of civil rights for all races, and Jefferson had a running sexual relationship with one of his female slaves for years. None of our heroes is all good, or all bad.

Of course I deplore her indoctrinating young girls, but she was so heavily invested in her delusion that she truly believed she was helping them. Unfortunately, there have also been delusional women who kill their children, to send them straight to heaven to be with god.

Regardless of her "selfless" intentions, I can't condone her behavior.

What archaeopteryx said. 

Dominionism is foremost a political ideology that binds its adherents through strong negative emotions (fear, hate.anger, disgust ) through the use of rationalizations supported by Biblical passages.

This works because the followers have never read the bible as a work of literature. They can easily be coached to accept disjointed snippets, taken out of context, as justification  for what ever political agenda the leaders want.

It gets really scary, when one of the  deluded followers gets into public office. Take the example of Rick Perry, who, while Texas burned from numerous wildfires, cut funding from the state forestry service ( the staet agency that fights wildfires) while telling Texans to pray for rain.

Actually, there is a sect who believes that they should take over government, education, art, media, etc. Look on the Americans United for Separation of Church and State site. Look up Gary North. He is the son-in-law of a man named Rushdoony. Ron Paul picked North to develop home school curriculum. Execution by stoning, exection for being gay, for blasphemy, for witches and other fun stuff. There is also a doctrine I believe is called the seven mountains philosophy which explains how to take over each aspect of government and society. The current groups of the Crazy Crackers and Cretins for Christ used Rushdoony's ideas to create their takeover as the religious right. Oh and Gary North is not by any standards an educator.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 22 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 1 Comment

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.