Doesn't This Article Make The Likes Of Scientist Richard Dawkins Appear Profoundly Silly ?

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Blamin ... 2-792.html

Blaming Religion for the Evils of the World is Like Blaming Science for Pollution, Nuclear Fallout and Global Warming

By M. Wizard
opednews.com

Swami Vivekananda once said that if one looks closely at history, one will find that all of the horrors generally attributed to religion were really political in nature. Yet, it's interesting that we never hear politics being excoriated for the world's ills as we often do religion.

The primary message of all of the world's major religions (and most of the minor ones) is love, faith, charity and non-violence. Leo Tolstoy spent most of his later years preaching and attempting to live by Christ's teaching which he thought was central to his life and mission: "Resist not evil":

If certain (many in fact) individuals have twisted the teachings of the great religions for the sake of money and power, whose fault is that? To blame this on "Religion" is no different from blaming the evils and nightmares which are the by product of modern technology on "Science". The fact of the matter is: all of the great evil ever done in the world can be traced to individuals either ignoring or outright mocking values which are at the heart of religion, i.e. ethics and morality.

In addition, Noam Chomsky has pointed out that all of our great social movements from the abolition of slavery, to women's suffrage, to the Civil Rights Act have had their origin, and primary support, in the country's churches and synogogues.

While it's easy to look ar historical events superficially and blame the Inquisition or the Holocaust, for example- ad infinitum - on religion, this is generally done by people who either never felt the need to live a religious life, or simply felt that they lacked the character to do so.

But to blame the religion of Rama, Krishna, Plato, Jesus, Newton, J.S. Bach, Tolstoy, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr... is a downright sin.

Views: 542

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you, but what I was trying to point out was that we, being the greatest danger to this planet, use religion - among many other tools - as means of controlling, fear-mongering and often killing. As I used in my allegory, they are pretty inert by themselves, but they become a problem when used by these people.
And humanity has created weapons (guns and religion) to assuage those desires. Desire and tool are completely  and utterly entwined.

You used the term QED, so I'm assuming you are aware of scientific experimentation, granted the demonstration you just gave us.

So I take you are aware of double blind experimentation, so necessary when trying to make a point.

Leave a knife at the wrong place, within the reach of a toddler, in some way that he/she could get hurt if tripped over it. Very harsh thought, but parents take the necessary care to remove all potentially harmful objects within the reach of their children, notwithstanding the fact that nobody would use it to harm a child. 

Though Monkeys cannot understand this tread ( which is totally non-sequitur argument of yours ) they can too use things as weapons to hurt some other animal.

Pin-pricks shuffling about on the crust of a swivelling rock, hurtling round a ball of fire in the middle of an expanding universe...AND we feel special, significant, valued & loved - by those who love us, and those we love.

Isn't this thing called 'life' an incredible mystery !

Hi wrong topic

wrong place it wont make sense. lol

Hi James

Alot of things in Old Testiment were not Gods best thats why Jesus had to cleanse the temple and we now don't have a physical temple but a spiritaul one. Jesus does change alot of levi law for Christian law or commands

Alot of the bible is figurative, History, Poems, Prophecy,Analagies Symbolic, Parables (stories that aren't true) but illistrate a principle so you have to  put things in context

I will go over and check those verses and what context some of them are in its going to   take a while

God himself doesn't change but he can make changes or the way he does things

How convenient!!!! When part of my message doesn't pan out let's just call some of it allegorical or poetry or figurative. (OMG!)  You all just decipher which part.  Okay?

well why do you think theres so many different churches and denominations?

lol

Hi James

Old testament

Numbers 30

Vows

1 Moses said to the heads of the tribes of Israel: “This is what the LORD commands:

2 When a man makes a vow to the LORD or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word but must do everything he said.

New Testament

Mathew  5

(Jesus talking)

Oaths

33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Explain this to me please James

Until Separation of Church and State was mandated by the founding fathers of the United States of America, religion was politics. Everything that happened in history prior to Darwin's little theory, can be pretty much blamed on religion, and almost everything since as well. America's success has been largely due to this intentional move toward reason and away from the fear based government of religion. Unfortunately, we have not been vigilant enough in protecting separation, and religion is once again trying to reassert absolute control over our politics and our lives. Oh well, perhaps it is time for us to step down as intellectual leaders in the world and go back to being a superstitious third rate country. No need to worry, the Chinese will be glad to step up and fill the moral vacuum we create by choosing mythology over science.

Richard, you have a serious disconnect with reality if you really believe what you say: While it's easy to look ar historical events superficially and blame the Inquisition or the Holocaust, for example- ad infinitum - on religion, this is generally done by people who either never felt the need to live a religious life, or simply felt that they lacked the character to do so. But that goes without saying, because you are, after all, religious...

Just ask the Rinos! How many rational beliefs can a Republican possess before he is no longer a Republican?

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service