(R)ich people are more likely to think about themselves. “They think that economic success and political outcomes, and personal outcomes, have to do with individual behavior, a good work ethic,” said Keltner, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley.

Because the rich gloss over the ways family connections, money and education helped, they come to denigrate the role of government and vigorously oppose taxes to fund it.

“I will quote from the Tea Party hero Ayn Rand: “‘It is the morality of altruism that men have to reject,’” he said.  (source)

Are rich people heartless because they are rich or does being rich make them heartless. What do YOU think?

Tags: heartlessness, wealth

Views: 820

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, I see what you're saying. There are other possibilities not captured by the question (e.g., Does being atheist make you heartless, Does being short make you heartless, Does being a debt collector make you heartless).

Bear in mind, though, the purpose of a subject line or headline is to get people interested.

"I will agree that it might, but excess rewards are not necessarily linked to self-interest, it is linked to success in risk taking." Nobody ever became rich by giving the benefits of risks successfully taken away to a competitor.

As we would say in the corporate world: I believe our perceptions are aligned.

"Nobody ever became rich by giving the benefits of risks successfully taken away to a competitor."

The only problem with that statement is that true risk and reward is only known ex post. You don't really know if you have given away the benefits or disadvantages of risk at the point where the decision is made. It's the difference between betting on football, where the variables are numerous and information provides an edge, versus the lottery, where the variables are well known and follow a strict probability distribution in the long run. 

Before philanthropy can be called altruism, a ratio of donation to income must also be considered - it may seem altruistic to donate a million dollars, until it's realized that the donor makes a hundred million per year. The guy pulling down 100K per doesn't seem nearly so altruistic when donating a thousand, yet the ratio is the same. Sometimes we let big numbers overly impress us.

Arcus - RE: "Non rich people usually have a good work ethic, but have been less fortunate in their decision making."

I believe that that's an incomplete sentence that requires the ending, ",...or in the opportunities they chance to encounter."

Indeed. One thing to note is that 'chance' would be meant as random, not arbitrary. Those who get truly rich appear to be better at seeing and seizing opportunities.

"Are rich people heartless because they are rich or does being rich make them heartless. What do YOU think?"

Are you speaking in generalizations? Has there been a  study of rich people that indicates they are more inclined to have heartlessness as a trait? What defines rich? Ninety-nine percent of ALL Americans are rich from a worldview perspective.

Making money in a capitalistic society is not always a pretty picture. I dislike certain aspects of it (capitalism) but on the other hand I cannot find fault with an individual who excels and becomes wealthy. There are certainly countless individuals who made a TON of money without the benefit of nepotism, higher education, or pulling on purse strings.  There decision to share, or not, that wealth with those less fortunate should not necessarily make them heartless. There ability to isolate themselves from those of lesser means should not necessarily be construed as their having a general lack of concern for those less fortunate. 

I wouldn't say heartless. I would say it makes rich people have less time to deal with trivial matters like family issues. It just seems heartless, but really they can't be bothered to waste time with matters that don't involve a positive cash flow.

I guess they have their priorities straight. Like most conservative Republicans, they believe in the trickle down theory of economics, applied in this case to their family.

Me, I believe in the trickle up theory. Give money to the middle and lower classes and WE will decide who gets rich.

I do not necessarily believe in giving out when you're rich. I mean people got rich not because they plucked it  from their garden in their yard. People who are less fortunate always cry about how they should have hand outs all the time. They spend more time complaining than doing something about it.

Beware of the leechy hippies to come and get you for that comment. There are many commies here who think everybody wealthy owes them money.

tell me about it. It's even worse how the govt punish the rich people for being rich.

Fortunately for me, I've never had that problem.

RSS

Events

Services we love!

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service