(R)ich people are more likely to think about themselves. “They think that economic success and political outcomes, and personal outcomes, have to do with individual behavior, a good work ethic,” said Keltner, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley.

Because the rich gloss over the ways family connections, money and education helped, they come to denigrate the role of government and vigorously oppose taxes to fund it.

“I will quote from the Tea Party hero Ayn Rand: “‘It is the morality of altruism that men have to reject,’” he said.  (source)

Are rich people heartless because they are rich or does being rich make them heartless. What do YOU think?

Tags: heartlessness, wealth

Views: 732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Are rich people heartless because they are rich or does being rich make them heartless. What do YOU think?"

Are you speaking in generalizations? Has there been a  study of rich people that indicates they are more inclined to have heartlessness as a trait? What defines rich? Ninety-nine percent of ALL Americans are rich from a worldview perspective.

Making money in a capitalistic society is not always a pretty picture. I dislike certain aspects of it (capitalism) but on the other hand I cannot find fault with an individual who excels and becomes wealthy. There are certainly countless individuals who made a TON of money without the benefit of nepotism, higher education, or pulling on purse strings.  There decision to share, or not, that wealth with those less fortunate should not necessarily make them heartless. There ability to isolate themselves from those of lesser means should not necessarily be construed as their having a general lack of concern for those less fortunate. 

I wouldn't say heartless. I would say it makes rich people have less time to deal with trivial matters like family issues. It just seems heartless, but really they can't be bothered to waste time with matters that don't involve a positive cash flow.

I guess they have their priorities straight. Like most conservative Republicans, they believe in the trickle down theory of economics, applied in this case to their family.

Me, I believe in the trickle up theory. Give money to the middle and lower classes and WE will decide who gets rich.

I do not necessarily believe in giving out when you're rich. I mean people got rich not because they plucked it  from their garden in their yard. People who are less fortunate always cry about how they should have hand outs all the time. They spend more time complaining than doing something about it.

Beware of the leechy hippies to come and get you for that comment. There are many commies here who think everybody wealthy owes them money.

tell me about it. It's even worse how the govt punish the rich people for being rich.

Fortunately for me, I've never had that problem.

Me either. You get rewarded for actually being middle class.

The real job creators are the consumers. Just as predators drive evolution, consumers drive business success. Trickle up! Trickle up!

The REAL real job creators are the ad people who convince consumers that they not only must consume, but what to buy --

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service