We'll never hear a high-level Republican official use the n word, and we'll never hear them say blacks are inferior or that they don't want Hispanics in their neighborhood. However, they do precious little to win any minority's vote and much to alienate it. Hardly a month goes by without some mid-level Republican making some insensitive statement that makes me squirm. (Bear in mind, I haven't even gotten into their apparent efforts to lose the women's vote.) They try to manipulate voting laws in a way that will bring marginally more eligible white voters to the polls. Moving on to the female vote, hardly 2 months goes by without some Republican saying something hare-brained about women or rape.

Just who are they counting on to win them the next election? There aren't enough middle-aged and elderly white guys to bank on anymore. And there are even fewer well-to-do blacks and Hispanics.

Tags: GOP, Presidential, Republicans, election, women

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They use a one issue division scheme: abortion, gun rights, immigration, religion, etc.  Republicans rely on one issue voters to vote against their own self interest in all other areas.  Alabama is a prime example.

Sure, but without almost any of the black vote, and just 20% or so of the Hispanic vote, and only at best 35%-40% of the female vote, how much longer can they last?

Only about 20% of the US population actually votes. If we took a page from Australia's book, and made voting mandatory, I doubt that Republicans would even be on the books without an amazing restructuring of their platform. I don't identify as a Democrat, Republican, Conservative or Liberal. I'm registered as an independent because the lady at the court house told me that I have to register as something. Apparently it's not enough that I'm an American.

When I hear about an issue, I make a point to hear the whole argument from both sides to make sure I understand it before I make an opinion. The problem with this is that the Republicans have such horrible ideas, that I wind up leaning very far left because it actually seems it's in the middle.

You have to register at the courthouse as something or another ? Why ? What if you told them that you consider yourself a far right left wing comunist nazi what would happen ?

You have to register to vote, but not for a political party (unless you want to vote in a party primary, which is used by a party to determine who runs in an election). You register as an independent voter if you don't want to declare you are in a particular party.

GM has it right. In the US we have primary elections before the main elections. If you don't belong to a party, there is no need to participate in the primary election. No party? Then you're an independent, meaning independent of any party. You get to vote in the main election.

The GOP is a hot mess. I feel they should be looking for charismatic "rock star" leaders who would be willing to trade the ultra-right and tea party agenda for the less extreme ideals held dear by the numerous liberal conservatives and conservative liberals. Maybe the government could even become somewhat functional.

The GOP will survive, more than likely.

Whether it will remotely resemble what we see today is another matter.  They will certainly continue to get spanked as long as they run idiots like Mr. "Legitimate Rape" (I don't recall his name and I don't much care.)

Parties change over time; a hundred plus years ago the Democrats were interested in more limited government than the GOP was and were the refuge of fundies like William Jennings Bryan; I doubt either party would look very familiar to us today,

I believe you may be describing individual idiotic Rebooblicans - I believe it's the party's agenda, having seen in the last election how much the minority vote counts, to recruit Hispanics to run in Lt. Governor, Representative, Senator, and Vice-Presidential positions, in an effort to pick up, or at least split, that vote.

I believe you may be describing individual idiotic Rebooblicans - I believe it's the party's agenda, having seen in the last election how much the minority vote counts, to recruit Hispanics to run in Lt. Governor, Representative, Senator, and Vice-Presidential positions, in an effort to pick up, or at least split, that vote.

And under this idiotic "Rebooblicanism" strategy: Republican policies which have repelled registered Hispanic voters for years suddenly start attracting them in droves simply because a Hispanic pitchman steps up to the podium at election time.

That's so stupid it's gorgeous. But only if you're a Democrat.

It reminds me of the Romney campaign, which disregarded science-based election polling in favor of self-serving "internal polling" to such a degree that right up to election night a shell-shocked Mitt Romney still hadn't bothered to prepare a concession speech.

It reminds me of the Romney campaign, which disregarded science-based election polling in favor of self-serving "internal polling" to such a degree that right up to election night a shell-shocked Mitt Romney still hadn't bothered to prepare a concession speech.

Dick Morris, once a favored pundit of the right, actually predicted a Romney blowout of Obama, but of course that did not happen, and I believe he is now a laughingstock in Republican circles.  I don't remember the name of the site, but someplace aggregated professional polls, and was able to call all but five states, and even those they gave a "lean" to.  If I recall correctly, Romney had to win all but one of them to take the presidency--and many of them leaned Obama.  This site got every single state (except Florida) right, even the ones that only "leaned" slightly.

I remember election night. Carl Rove, a FOX News commentator, flipped out when even FOX News (generally regarded as partnered with conservatism) forecast an Obama victory. The Republicans were so certain that their brand of anti-minority politics would prevail that they were blinded. Even now, I don't think they realize how non-white America has become.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Dr. Bob 1 hour ago. 8 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 65 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 3 hours ago. 19 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 4 hours ago. 63 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service