I know this is a common topic for people around the world, but I had this discusion in my class just the other day, and this topic always led us to issues of god. So I can't really say my opinions to the class because all of them believe that everything happens because god plans it that way. and what enraged me is that they all believe god purposely set the plan to strike tsunami in aceh, sumatra last time. they said god has plan for us, our future and whatever he does is good. i am certainly disatisfied with these kinds of answers.

What would your answer be to a question such as this? I need more inspiration.

Does everything happen for a reason? And what do you think about karma?

Tags: god, reason

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd say it's a pretty fatalistic outlook, and that they ought to kill themselves since they don't have any control of their lives to begin with. At least that way, they get to be in heaven sooner.

Alright, that's a bitter outlook, but really, it's still a fatalistic approach. I would ask them why they think they should aspire to anything if god already has a plan for them and will simply sweep their life away without warning. Why plan for anything at all?

Honestly, their response tot he tsunami is that "God has a plan?" How do they think it would make the families of the victims feel if they told them the entire purpose of their loved ones' lives was to die a watery death? It seems pretty hopeless if you ask me. I'd rather be free than be an expendable pawn in such a cruel master plan.
hmmm i agree! yeah if the tsunami situation is put to the situation of their loved ones, then they would feel and know the hurt, and i guess they wish they didn't say that in the first place at all... thank you for the response! =)
Hey Dinah,

I suppose everything happens for a reason, if we're speaking in terms of causation... Tsunamis form when certain weather patterns occur, or something of that sort. Those weather patterns took place as a result of changes in temperature and pressure, etc. And so on. Beyond that though, I see no reason to believe that things happen according to some grand master plan. What motivation do we have for such a belief? And since we're asking questions, what sort of master plan would include mass tragedies, genocides, and world wars? The sheer amount of suffering and injustice in the world makes two things very difficult to accept: 1) a benevolent, omnipotent, omniscient god; and 2) any sort of plan that such a god might have.

I feel much the same way about karma as I do about God's plan. Perhaps if you go around acting like a jerk, people will start to treat you badly, whereas we are all more likely to do favors for friendly folk, etc. If we accept karma, we have all sorts of trouble explaining just what it is, how and why it functions the way it does, and all sorts of other confusing questions...Isn't it simpler just to say good things sometimes happen, and bad things sometimes happen?

I suppose my main point is, the burden of proof is on the believer, not the skeptic. The question we should ask is, why should we believe that everything happens for a reason?
I feel much the same way about karma as I do about God's plan. Perhaps if you go around acting like a jerk, people will start to treat you badly, whereas we are all more likely to do favors for friendly folk, etc. If we accept karma, we have all sorts of trouble explaining just what it is, how and why it functions the way it does, and all sorts of other confusing questions...Isn't it simpler just to say good things sometimes happen, and bad things sometimes happen?

well said
i agree! =) nice! =) yeah... if we don't respect people, people won't respect us as well... thank you for the response! =) it gives me good insight! =)
I think things do NOT happen for a reason. I don't really believe in destiny or karma(though I wish karma were for real!). Things that are controllable (ie. donating money, taking a job opportunity, different decisions, etc...) are more because of the whims of the person themselves, rather than the preplanned moves of a deity... In the bible it talks of our "free will". If we are destined to do things, and things happen for a reason, what free will do we really have if we are forced to follow what we are destined or "planned" to do?
Negatory Ghost-rider ... That would indicate a designer/planner.

RSS

Forum

Coming Out as Humanist

Started by Barry Adamson in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Barry Adamson 15 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 17 minutes ago. 9 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 2 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service