...how does one start a Whole New Congress Movement? We could start with rallies in or marches to the public squares of major cities all asking people to commit to throw their Senators and Representatives out of office in the next election.

We need to throw a scare into our Senators and Representatives.

Tags: Congressmen, Senators

Views: 1848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"If they lose control of The House, Obama could pretty much get whatever he wants"

What pisses me off, is that he had it that way for the first two years of his first term, but he was so concerned with showing the public what a nice guy he was - the first Black family on an all-White block have to work twice as hard at being respected - that he didn't take advantage of it, then the Tea Party saw the hole, and filled it.

They did take advantage of it. It was called the Affordable Care Act. The first two years were pretty productive... at least in comparison to the last three.

Oh how I hope this is true.  I would like to see the tea party become merely a foot note in the history books

A small thermonuclear device while congress is in session would be a start. 

Probably not the wisest thing to say in these times, Doug, since W reinstated the KGB - FWIW --

A small thermonuclear device while congress is in session would be a start.

Relax, NSA. I'm sure he was just a-jokin' yuh!

This budget situation has really gone from being amusing to me to making me furious. NOW they are talking about letting the government default on its debts, which could not only damage the credit rating of the US government, but also could have grave implications for the world economy.

The public has to rise up and get in touch with their Federal legislators and read them the riot act.

Hell, just suggesting a default is enough to lose the credit rating. That's what happened last time.

The looming debt crisis could dwarf the recession we are still recovering from, according to a BusinessWeek article:

Anyone who remembers the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. little more than five years ago knows what a global financial disaster is. A U.S. government default, just weeks away if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling as it now threatens to do, will be an economic calamity like none the world has ever seen.

Failure by the world’s largest borrower to pay its debt -- unprecedented in modern history -- will devastate stock markets from Brazil to Zurich, halt a $5 trillion lending mechanism for investors who rely on Treasuries, blow up borrowing costs for billions of people and companies, ravage the dollar and throw the U.S. and world economies into a recession that probably would become a depression. Among the dozens of money managers, economists, bankers, traders and former government officials interviewed for this story, few view a U.S. default as anything but a financial apocalypse.

(source)

Your last name, "Feenstra," is not a common one, so when I ran across Joe Feenstra, I wondered if there was a relationship --

You'll likely be even less likely to connect with this one, he's a ranting theist on another site, with a monosyllabic vocabulary.

The looming debt crisis could dwarf the recession we are still recovering from, according to a BusinessWeek article:

Most of the voting public blames the GOP for the current debacle. How many years would pass before they'd ever control Congress or the Presidency again? Could the Republican Party even survive at all with the blame for a global depression on their shoulders? I doubt it.

So what's the endgame? I foresee two scenarios depending on just how stupid the Republicans are.

Scenario One: The "Stupid" GOP: The GOP blinks right before it pulls the trigger. The House puts the debt ceiling to a vote, passes the increase, and backs off. They limp into the 2014 elections with half their asses chewed off, but survive.

Scenario Two: The "Extra Stupid GOP: The GOP pulls the trigger and defaults, falsely confident the country will blame Obama (or both parties equally) for the resulting destruction. Wall Street, completely freaked out by the sight of Republicans shooting their hostages, abandons the GOP and sides with Obama and the Democrats. Obama, backed by powerful new friends with deep pockets, ignores the debt ceiling and continues to issue credit on behalf of the US. The Republicans challenge this legally, but are swept out of power by an enraged voting public while it drags through the courts. The new Democratic House votes to increase the limit and the crisis is resolved.

I'm betting on scenario one. The Republicans are stupid, but they're not that stupid.

RSS

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service