...how does one start a Whole New Congress Movement? We could start with rallies in or marches to the public squares of major cities all asking people to commit to throw their Senators and Representatives out of office in the next election.

We need to throw a scare into our Senators and Representatives.

Tags: Congressmen, Senators

Views: 1837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The motive behind gerrymandering is to redraw districts to favor one's party. The origin of the term is interesting.

When mapped, one of the contorted districts in the Boston area was said to resemble the shape of a salamander. The term was a portmanteau of the governor's last name and the word salamander. (from a Wikipedia article)

"If they lose control of The House, Obama could pretty much get whatever he wants"

What pisses me off, is that he had it that way for the first two years of his first term, but he was so concerned with showing the public what a nice guy he was - the first Black family on an all-White block have to work twice as hard at being respected - that he didn't take advantage of it, then the Tea Party saw the hole, and filled it.

They did take advantage of it. It was called the Affordable Care Act. The first two years were pretty productive... at least in comparison to the last three.

Oh how I hope this is true.  I would like to see the tea party become merely a foot note in the history books

A small thermonuclear device while congress is in session would be a start. 

Probably not the wisest thing to say in these times, Doug, since W reinstated the KGB - FWIW --

A small thermonuclear device while congress is in session would be a start.

Relax, NSA. I'm sure he was just a-jokin' yuh!

This budget situation has really gone from being amusing to me to making me furious. NOW they are talking about letting the government default on its debts, which could not only damage the credit rating of the US government, but also could have grave implications for the world economy.

The public has to rise up and get in touch with their Federal legislators and read them the riot act.

Hell, just suggesting a default is enough to lose the credit rating. That's what happened last time.

The looming debt crisis could dwarf the recession we are still recovering from, according to a BusinessWeek article:

Anyone who remembers the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. little more than five years ago knows what a global financial disaster is. A U.S. government default, just weeks away if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling as it now threatens to do, will be an economic calamity like none the world has ever seen.

Failure by the world’s largest borrower to pay its debt -- unprecedented in modern history -- will devastate stock markets from Brazil to Zurich, halt a $5 trillion lending mechanism for investors who rely on Treasuries, blow up borrowing costs for billions of people and companies, ravage the dollar and throw the U.S. and world economies into a recession that probably would become a depression. Among the dozens of money managers, economists, bankers, traders and former government officials interviewed for this story, few view a U.S. default as anything but a financial apocalypse.

(source)

Is that threat back on the table? I thought it had come up last year too. Stupid card to play though. It will hurt the United States wether it comes to pass or not. Investors will get pissy and panicky, and countries like mine, historically a strong trade partner, will continue to press harder to find more diverse markets away from the US.

Your last name, "Feenstra," is not a common one, so when I ran across Joe Feenstra, I wondered if there was a relationship --

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service