...how does one start a Whole New Congress Movement? We could start with rallies in or marches to the public squares of major cities all asking people to commit to throw their Senators and Representatives out of office in the next election.

We need to throw a scare into our Senators and Representatives.

Tags: Congressmen, Senators

Views: 1836

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With the Republicans in the House of Representatives trying to hold the nation hostage, I think I would look elsewhere than Obama for a dictator.

I hate many of the things he does, including the drone strikes, the NSA surveillance of Americans, and the National Defense act which stated that the President can imprison anyone, even american citizens, indefinitely if he thinks they're a terrorist. But I don't think he's becoming a dictator. I'm just very sad that he wasn't any different from his predecessor.

No different? 

I think he does what he feels he has to do. I think whenever any person becomes President they have to confront facts a candidate doesn't have to confront. Experts and advisors explain the consequences of carrying out some of the "promises" made while running and he has to back off them. 

Not nearly different enough.

He kept the Patriot Act, which authorizes illegal spying without a warrant. He signed the Defense Bill that negates the Constitution and instead says that anyone at all can be indefinitely detained. He certainly hasn't dialed back our "policeman of the world" stance as far as I'd like, although I appreciate some of the steps he's taken.

Probably nobody who would be acceptable to me would ever make it far enough to get elected in this USA, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

I don't really like any of those things, but I like more not having any more 9/11's, and I can't help but think that some attacks like that HAVE been prevented.

Probably nobody who would be acceptable to me would ever make it far enough to get elected in this USA, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

But Obama didn't run in favor of any of that stuff. In fact, I think he left the impression he was against it. But then he got into office and was faced with certain unpleasant realities.

Some years ago, Josh Brolin, James Brolin's son, starred in a TV series that may have been called, "The Congressman," but I'm not sure about the exact title - at any rate, he was a Freshman Congressman, elected on a variety of promises, that, once in office, he learned very quickly, couldn't be kept. To get one of his promises through with the necessary support, he had to agree to support other programs that he thoroughly opposed. In politics, it's all about deals and mutual back-scratching.

Found it on IMDB Mister Sterling

That really doesn't sound like the title, but the premise sounds about right. Shame it only lasted ten episodes.

About the same time, James Garner and Sally Field each starred as Supreme Court Justices, in their own series about the Supreme Court, and even with those bankable stars, the two series never made it past the first year.

Apparently politics don't play too well in America, we'd rather watch shoot-em-ups than anything too cerebral, which may go far to explain why our political system is so screwed up.

Apathy, thy name is America.

Really? The West Wing? (huge hit) House of Cards? (another hit) Scandal (a big hit) 

Odd, I never watched any of those - they must have been on opposite my cartoons.

I, too, was disappointed that he continued with some the more dastardly programs Bush initiated.

Don't be ridiculous.  He has exactly the same powers as those who came before him and at the end of his second term, he will step down. 

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 8 hours ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 17 hours ago. 27 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service