...how does one start a Whole New Congress Movement? We could start with rallies in or marches to the public squares of major cities all asking people to commit to throw their Senators and Representatives out of office in the next election.

We need to throw a scare into our Senators and Representatives.

Tags: Congressmen, Senators

Views: 1807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm with you but let's not forget who is really at fault here.

http://meadows.house.gov/uploads/Meadows_DefundLetter.pdf

Was that intended as a list of those we need to toss out?

I can't even read those signatures. That must be how they avoid detection.

Stay the course!! No matter how wrong it is...

Those are the congressmen who signed the letter so yes,they definitely need to go. I can make out my congressman's name (Tim Wahlberg). If your congressmen is a berserk teabagger their name is probably on there. Obviously John Boehner considered this a good plan. "Let's shut down government until our demands our met!". Just disgusting.

The New York Times lists the worst 20 Tea Baggers behind the push to tie the dismantling of ObamaCare to the passage of a budget resolution that would end the government shutdown:

Louie Gohmert, Phil Gingrey, Jeff Duncan, John Fleming, Ron DeSantis, John Culberson, Jim Bridenstine, Michele Bachmann, Justin Amash, Tom Graves, Steve Stockman, David Schweikert, Matt Salmon, Mick Mulvaney,Thomas Massie, Raœl Labrador, Steve King, Jim Jordan, and Tim Huelskamp.

Most of them were elected by wide margins in their districts and don't care who they piss off anywhere else, including other Republicans. Here are a few reality-bending quotes from some of them:

• “Obamacare is the most dangerous piece of legislation ever passed in Congress. It is the most existential threat to our economy ... since the Great Depression.” -John Fleming
  • “The American people do not want Obamacare, and the representatives closest to them have voted not to spend the people’s money on it. If the Democrat-controlled Senate decides not to accept this, then it is their choice to shut down the government.” -Jim Bridenstine
  • “The president asked us to think about who would be hurt if the government were to shut down. I ask him to think about how many millions more will be hurt if his health care law goes into effect.” -Jeff Duncan
  • “The House is listening to the American people by advocating for a one-year delay of the individual mandate. The Senate, meanwhile, is trying to instigate a shutdown with the hope that Republicans will get the blame.” -Raœl Labrador

I think Obamacare will be a big strain on the Federal budget, at least at first. Later on, when the population becomes healthier due to prevention, it will be less so. Hopefully, our government will fund Obamacare by throwing the status quo out the window and by taking a long hard look at overspending and wasteful spending on the military, expensive pork barrel riders to legislation, and other similar measures.

I think Obamacare will be a big strain on the Federal budget, at least at first. 

It won't. ObamaCare is paid for.

"The 2011 comprehensive CBO estimate projected a net deficit reduction of more than $200 billion during the 2012–2021 period: it calculated the law would result in $604 billion in total outlays (expenditure) offset by $813 billion in total receipts (revenue), resulting in a $210 billion net reduction in the deficit. The CBO separately noted that while most of the spending provisions do not begin until 2014, revenue will still exceed spending in those subsequent years. CBO also stated that the bill would "substantially reduce the growth of Medicare's payment rates for most services; impose an excise tax on insurance plans with relatively high premiums; and make various other changes to the federal tax code, Medicare, Medicaid, and other program— ultimately extending the solvency of the Medicare trust fund by 8 years. However, this estimate was made prior to the Supreme Court's ruling on the ACA, which enabled states to opt out of the Medicaid expansion, thereby forgoing the federal funding. The CBO and JCT subsequently updated the budget projection, estimating the impact of the ruling would reduce the cost estimate of the insurance coverage provisions by $84 billion." (source)

For added perspective, the CBO estimates it would cost $109 billion to repeal ObamaCare.

The more I watch it, the more I hate it.  And I thought I'd already reached my limit

...how does one start a Whole New Congress Movement?

The Republicans already have, in a way. The public didn't want government operations tied to defunding ObamaCare. We have the Quinnipiac poll from Monday and polls from CBS, CNN, CNBC, National Journal, and Kaiser all showing this. Heck, even Karl Rove cited a poll done by the Republicans themselves.

Some highlights from the Quinnipiac poll:

• American voters oppose 72 - 22 percent Congress shutting down the federal government to block implementation of the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, according to a Quinnipiac University national poll released today.
  • Voters also oppose 64 - 27 percent blocking an increase in the nation's debt ceiling as a way to stop Obamacare, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds.
  • American voters are divided on Obamacare, with 45 percent in favor and 47 percent opposed, but they are opposed 58 - 34 percent to Congress cutting off funding for the health care law to stop its implementation.
  • American voters disapprove 74 - 17 percent of the job Republicans in Congress are doing, their lowest score ever, and disapprove 60 - 32 percent of the job Democrats are doing.
  • Gridlock in Washington is mainly because Republicans are determined to block any Obama initiative, 55 percent of voters say, while 33 percent blame Obama's lack of skill.
  • In another question, 28 percent of voters blame Republicans for gridlock, while 10 percent blame Democrats and 58 percent blame both equally.
  • "Americans are certainly not in love with Obamacare, but they reject decisively the claim by Congressional Republicans that it is so bad that it's worth closing down the government to stop it," said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

The pain has barely started, too. A shutdown is one thing. But if there's a credit default, Wall Street takes a savage beating along with the rest of us. What'll happen to the GOP, given the gloomy numbers above, heading into an election year? Well, it'll look something like this.

• Looking at the 2014 Congressional races, voters pick a generic Democrat over a generic Republican candidate 43 - 34 percent, the widest Democratic margin measured so far.
Now that's beautiful!

We need to throw a scare into our Senators and Representatives.

Oh, I'm sure a few Republicans have soiled themselves already.
Joe Biden: Mister President! The Republicans have guns to their heads! They'll blow their brains out unless we agree to destroy ObamaCare! They're demanding that you negotiate!
President Obama: I hear that new Riddick movie is out. Bad reviews, but fuck it. Vin Diesel's the man!

American voters are divided on Obamacare, with 45 percent in favor and 47 percent opposed, but they are opposed 58 - 34 percent to Congress cutting off funding for the health care law to stop its implementation.

Republicans are fond of saying "the majority of Americans don't like or want Obamacare," without mentioning that a fair percentage of those who oppose it, oppose it because they wanted it to cover more or prefer a single-payer system. It's not that they really love the pre-Obamacare health care system.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 2 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 6 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service