...how does one start a Whole New Congress Movement? We could start with rallies in or marches to the public squares of major cities all asking people to commit to throw their Senators and Representatives out of office in the next election.

We need to throw a scare into our Senators and Representatives.

Tags: Congressmen, Senators

Views: 1818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would certainly help, but I guess I believe there are still uncorruptible people out there. 

In addition to putting some reins on lobbyists (the people who bribe the politicians while supposedly providing them with "information"), we need to institute term limits on legislators much in the way we only allow a President to serve only two terms. Some of these guys start serving in their 30's or 40's and stick it out until the day they die.

"That would certainly help, but I guess I believe there are still uncorruptible people out there."

I think the problem is that those sort of people are extremely unlikely to rise very high in politics.

It depends on how you define corruption.

In many countries, bribery is not considered corruption, Bribery and conflicts of interest are considered corruption, but only when it involves the government. While in the private sector, particularly in corporate culture where authority is completely divorced from accountability, the story is very different.

The tea party is just one of many manifestations of a complex religious mythology based on greed  The god of this religion is called THE MARKET. But THE MARKET is not omnipotent, but is held captive by  demonic librul forces in government. The tea party candidates honestly believe their patriotic duty is to release the market from government control through weakening the government, and subjugating control of the government to the forces of the market.

Technically they aren't corrupt. Their ideology is.

I looks like they might win another one on individual limits that SCOTUS is considering taking up.

All of congress, every member needs to be fired.  Both sides are acting like spoiled children

Why both sides?

With polls continuing to show that blame for the Federal government shutdown is being laid at the GOP's doorstep, Republican House members are slowly, one-at-a-time, becoming willing to fund the government without tying damage to Obamacare to the bill. In other words, to wave the white flag and admit defeat. The problem so far is that House Speaker Boehner refuses to schedule a vote.

Ted Cruz, the House Republican who leads the attempt to tie defunding Obamacare to passing a funding bill, has engendered the ire of many GOP House members and conservative thinkers alike. Conservatives outside the Senate aren't happy with Cruz, either. Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform, is quotedd as saying Cruz "pushed House Republicans into traffic and wandered away."

Ted Cruz is a senator from Texas

Oops. Anyway, his rhetoric reverberates all the way to the House.

When the Rebooblicans saw, in the last election, that this wasn't an old, White guy's country anymore, they realized they were going to have to bring in some color, so they looked for the Whitest minority politician they could find, and now, they're grooming Cruz. He knew he didn't have a snowball's chance of affecting Obamacare, his filibuster was only to attract attention to himself among the Far Right, which, in my opinion, constitute the Far Wrong.

BTW, State Representative, Wendy Davis, is running for Governor of Texas against David Dewhurst, current Lt. Governor. She'll lose, but she's a game girl, and will put up a good fight.

While there is 1 (maybe 2) I would keep, I'd rather lose her/them if it meant permanently getting rid of all the rest.

In addition to a Whole New Congress, I would like to see changes in the election procedures. Things like run-offs only reducing the two major parties down to two candidates. That way in the final election there would be 2 Republicans, 2 Democrats, and 1 each of the other parties allowing for the occasional third party candidate to get into office. (Not that they're going to necessarily be better but there's a chance.)

An intermediate step might be ads come election time encouraging people to research the candidates but if they don't then they need to vote for someone whose name they do NOT recognize. I've done it myself on occasion when I get to the polls and realize I missed a race somehow so I vote for a familiar name. If we want the familiar demons out, we need to get people to vote for the unfamiliar. There's almost no possibility the unknowns are worse than the morons we have in office now.

One of the big problems with the shutdown is that this "slim down" of government is exactly what the Tea Party and a few others wanted. EPA, FDA, and other needed functions that keep big business from screwing us over are curtailed or closed. This isn't going to go away anytime soon if the Tea Party has their way.

The only meaningful reform is to remove money from the equation.  As long as the parties receive mega contributions from special interest groups, nothing will change.  It would require several amendments to the Constitution, but here is what should happen.

Limit the time for campaigning.       Give each candidate exactly the same amount of money--in other words go to public funding for campaigning.   Prohibit any private contributions either from individuals or from groups.  Limit terms to two, or even one.   No benefits to the individual elected--no golden health care plans.  No pension.  When you go home, you go back to a regular job just like the rest of us.  

Will that ever happen?  No, but it is a pleasant fantasy.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Ward Cressin 2 hours ago. 7 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 4 hours ago. 46 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 5 hours ago. 20 Replies

Blog Posts

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 1 Comment

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service