Does Anybody Watch the Ancient Aliens TV Series on History Channel?

It's this show about how all of the religions in the world were speaking metaphorically about how God/s were actually extraterrestrial beings that have enslaved the human civilization, and have manipulated our genome "in their image". I'm not sure what to make of this... check this out:

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens/videos/playlists/season...

What do you think???

Views: 252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can watch the entire run of Stargate SG-1 on Hulu, which is far more entertaining stories about ancient aliens and is honestly presented as fiction, not passed off as fact :)
Psh, bump that! Battlestar Galactica is where it's at lol (guilty pleasures)

I have seen it.   Its entertaining.   I love the suggestion that Merlin built Stonehenge.  I nearly choked on my pizza when I heard that.  Other elements such as the underwater cities are interesting but their suggestions as to how they came to be underwater and who built them (Aquaman still has the blueprints) are sometimes a little out of the box.

It is supposed to be comedy isnt it?

IMO this is more fodder for crazy BS. Believers are just that, unless it glaringly contradicts they will try to fit it in with their already crazy belief system

As an example some Christians believe that aliens are just demons deceiving people, preparing all non-Christians for the rapture, so that when the rapture happens they (demon- aliens) can say something like they "took all the bad people away for the betterment of mankind".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8H8YS4wXDU

I will choose to be a skeptic as the alternative is just crazy.

History is a subject that has a hard enough time trying to adhere to rigorous standards of empiricism. The History channel in its current incarnation has done nothing but hurt this discipline. People get the impression that there is some manner of checks and balances that keep the information being presented complete and accurate. This is hardly the case. I am equally disappointed in most of the channels that are part of the Discovery network such as discovery and TLC. Very little science finds its way to the viewing public anymore. This may be a contributing factor to how close many places have come in this country to having such hogwash as intelligent design taught in science classrooms. I mean nothing personal when I say this Matt but I get the impression that your idea of having an open mind is flawed in some way.

I am posting a video on the subject of open mindedness. This video is not meant to reflect necessarily how I feel about your particular idea of open mindedness.

While this video deals primarily with responses to supernatural explanations the alien astronaut idea does not fall far from that tree in terms of evidence and the application of Occam's Razor.

Ok. I saw the video and I see your point; however, you still haven't disproved anything. You've merely stated that the History channel (or any other form of social media, for that matter) cannot be trusted because of misrepresentation of facts by broadcast media, and that by me claiming something is without explanation, then claiming that I can explain it, I am close-minded. Correct?

If your answer was 'yes' to the previous statement, then you have in no way singled out these ideas from the discussion of whether or not alien life may have existed in our galaxy (or whatever) in some time in the distant past, and whether it could have influenced us. All you have done is state that the History Channel's presentation is flawed, and that the History Channel's logic is flawed. However, these anomalies in our understanding still exist. I am not trying to conclude that aliens have influenced us, I am simply testing this assertion to see how well it holds up against logic of others. Who better to test in logic than other Atheists?

The fact is, though, is that we do not know for a fact how the Egyptian Pyramids were built, why other structures that are extremely similar coincidentally started to appear at the same moment in history, or why so many ancient astronomers were obsessed with Cygnus (the constellation). And while many people think that these are just coincidences, there are also a great deal of people thinking 'outside the box' about these issues.

I think you are treating this discussion as a religious debate, and this is an incorrect evaluation.

Although the assertion that aliens existed and visited us is an "out there" (pun intended! :]) -type of idea, there are several differences between this construction and religious ideas. I think everyone should take note of: 

1) I am not stating that I explicitly believe that aliens came to visit us. I am testing a possibility using a thought experiment with other Atheists. And so far, this forum has not given me any reason to not consider such a possibility.

Toby, I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but you remind of how people at the beginning of the 20th century thought that everything that needed to be invented was already invented, and that science would soon unlock the mysteries of the universe. Times have changed, and now we think we have an intimate understanding of our Earth's history. If this is so, then some of the archaeological digs of recent years totally contradict your understanding of our Earth's history. Are you then admitting that your own knowledge of Earth's history is incorrect?

2) Even if I were convinced that ancient aliens did visit and influence our civilization in the past, there is not enough evidence yet to disprove the idea. Conversely, although there is not enough evidence to directly disprove "God's" existence, we can cite many verses from many religious texts that are CLEARLY ludicrous ideas. such as: a) Moses parting the Red Sea, b) Arjuna speaking to the Lord Krishna who is incarnated in the form of a 6- armed 'God', c) Satan casting down people to Hell for their sins, ETC, ETC. As far as alien theories go, again we can't directly disprove that aliens were to exist and visit us. However, we know several things:

a) there are a great many structures that exist on Earth's landscape, and we do not know how they were constructed

b) many of these structures seem to have been designed such that they can be seen in the sky

c) many of these structures were erected around the same time 

d) many of these structures were erected on opposite ends of the world, bringing into question how this technology spread in only a few decades with out any sort of communication ability

e) all of these civilizations were astrologers and observed the motions of the Earth... how could all of these civilizations have all placed fundamental importance on several of the same constellations?

f) why do all of these civilizations have religious texts that describe 'God's' that came down 'from the heavens' to teach each civilization something or another?

If you can answer all of these questions, I would love to be proven wrong. Until then, I think that the ancient aliens theory is a radical, unequivocal theory that must be considered.   

To make something clear once more, I have started this discussion not because I am convinced that aliens exist, but that I have considered the History Channel's shows, done research on my own on the internet, and am now discussing this with my other Atheist comrades. I think you, Toby, are confusing discussion with argumentation. I have stated in this discussion an enumerable amount of times that, although it is a wacky theory, I think that the idea of aliens helping mankind is plausible. I have not stated that I EXPLICITLY "BELIEVE" (ugh, hate that word) that aliens came to visit us. 

"The fact is, though, is that we do not know for a fact how the Egyptian Pyramids were built, why other structures that are extremely similar coincidentally started to appear at the same moment in history, or why so many ancient astronomers were obsessed with Cygnus (the constellation). "

We also don't know for a fact how abiogensis works ... or how our brains function at their deepest levels.  

I guess God was involved .. :)

" I have stated in this discussion an enumerable amount of times that, although it is a wacky theory, I think that the idea of aliens helping mankind is plausible. I have not stated that I EXPLICITLY "BELIEVE" (ugh, hate that word) that aliens came to visit us. "

Plausible or Possible?

The main reason why I wouldn't accept the idea is that I have also researched possible methods of intergalactic space travel ... and nothing is certain of how an alien race may be able to travel millions upon millions of lightyears across the galaxy ... let alone we actually have any reason to believe intelligent life forms even exist elsewhere in our own universe.  We could very well be the first to be lucky enough to have our neurons evolved in a certain pattern as to produce consciousness.  

If they have the technology to do that - again - I don't see what the hell reason they would have to help humans build some structures. 

edited to add:  The theory of aliens also does not make predictions - and is also not really even falsifiable.  How to test it?  How to disprove it?  

If time travel were possible ... I guess that would be one way.  

Just because we are not yet capable of understanding something, doesn't mean it is not a plausible explanation. I really dunno about this Alien Theory... but, until we find out for certain, it's just another thing we can't explain.

"Ok. I saw the video and I see your point; however, you still haven't disproved anything. You've merely stated that the History channel (or any other form of social media, for that matter) cannot be trusted because of misrepresentation of facts by broadcast media, and that by me claiming something is without explanation, then claiming that I can explain it, I am close-minded. Correct?" 

I'm not sure you do see my point. You are basing a hypothesis on certain interpretations of data, most of which can be explained far more easily by simpler explanations. I am not in the business of trying to "disprove" hypotheses. I was entertaining a discussion by offering my honest opinion. I went so far as to state that the video in question was "not meant to reflect necessarily how I feel about your particular idea of open mindedness".  I am of the opinion that neither the history channel nor the literature upon which this particular hypothesis is based represents an honest presentation of the facts. These tidbits are presented in both mediums to the exclusion of available relevant information that calls these interpretations into question.

"you have in no way singled out these ideas from the discussion of whether or not alien life may have existed in our galaxy (or whatever) in some time in the distant past, and whether it could have influenced us."

Nor did I have any intention of doing so. There is no reason to believe such an event has occurred. I am, therefore neutral on the issue.

"The fact is, though, is that we do not know for a fact how the Egyptian Pyramids were built, why other structures that are extremely similar coincidentally started to appear at the same moment in history, or why so many ancient astronomers were obsessed with Cygnus (the constellation). And while many people think that these are just coincidences, there are also a great deal of people thinking 'outside the box' about these issues."

The idea that we can know "for a fact" most things that occurred at times so distant in the realm of arhaeology is naive. This usually doesn't cause scientists to go off concocting all manner or far fetched ideas for need of a quick explanation. Most archaeologists will readily admit ignorance until more data can be brought to bear on the issue before resorting to such claims. I am a big fan of thinking outside the box where the data does not contradict the ideas.

"Toby, I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but you remind of how people at the beginning of the 20th century thought that everything that needed to be invented was already invented, and that science would soon unlock the mysteries of the universe. Times have changed, and now we think we have an intimate understanding of our Earth's history. If this is so, then some of the archaeological digs of recent years totally contradict your understanding of our Earth's history. Are you then admitting that your own knowledge of Earth's history is incorrect?"

These interpretations of me reach pretty far given the very limited amount of information you have of me. I have not presumed to be quite so knowledgable as you seem to think. I do however understand how science works. I have said nothing to argue that such a hypothesis is impossible. The evidence does not support it being very probable.

If there is anything I would "argue" here instead of "discuss" it is that you do, in fact, "believe" that this hypothesis is plausible. Plausiblity exists on a continuum and to call something plausible suggests it has a good deal of evidence to support such a conclusion. I would simply recommend that you do more research. You seem offended by construtive criticism. That is unfortunate.

"The idea that we can know "for a fact" most things that occurred at times so distant in the realm of arhaeology is naive. This usually doesn't cause scientists to go off concocting all manner or far fetched
ideas for need of a quick explanation. Most archaeologists will readily
admit ignorance until more data can be brought to bear on the issue
before resorting to such claims. I am a big fan of thinking outside the
box where the data does not contradict the ideas."

....I see your idea, but have to respectfully disagree. Scientists do readily admit ignorance on issues until more data can be found. But in fact much of the data we obtain on ancient fossils is accurate, since most have undergone radiocarbon dating. It may not be accurate to the day, but to the year? yes.

"These interpretations of me reach pretty far given the very limited amount of information you have of me. I have not presumed to be quite so knowledgable as you seem to think. I do however understand how science
works. I have said nothing to argue that such a hypothesis is
impossible. The evidence does support it being very probable."

"If there is anything I would "argue" here instead of "discuss" it is that you do, in fact, "believe" that this hypothesis is plausible. Plausiblity exists on a continuum and to call something plausible
suggests it has a good deal of evidence to support such a conclusion. I
would simply recommend that you do more research. You seem offended by
construtive criticism. That is unfortunate."

mmm, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. plausible? yes. believe? HA. Since plausibility 'exists on a continuum and to call something plausible suggests it has a good deal of evidence to support such a conclusion', it merely suggests that it is probable. That doesn't mean I "believe" it. Belief, according to Plato and others, is 'the psychological state during which an individual holds a premise to be true'. Since I have stated that it is plausible that the Alien Theory could hold, I have not asserted belief/non-belief. How could I simultaneously be skeptical and in belief of something at the same time? I have simply acknowledged the possibility of the existence of something.

I was not intending to take things to a personal level (look at your second-to-last paragraph). I was simply adding my own constructive criticism to your last (your first in this discussion, I think) post. Perhaps I'm not the only one that has trouble accepting constructive critique.

The evidence does support it being very probable

This should have read: The evidence does not support it being very probable.

Thank you for pointing that out.

You're quite welcome

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 58 minutes ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service