When I was an early teen, the first transistor radios came out. That was my introduction to electronics. The radio was about the size of a pack of cigarettes and I listened through a single earbud. Had you told me then that electronics would allow one to take a phonecall on a phone you could keep in your pocket, my reaction would have been, "Yeah, right." Had you told me that someday there'd be electronic cigarettes, I would have thought you were really pulling my leg.

I wonder what I would have thought back then of a delivery technology Amazon is planning to use, pending government approval: package delivery by drone, guaranteeing delivery within 2 hours of the order and 1/2 hour in some cases. 

(BTW, is there going to be an extra charge for this? I wouldn't bet against it.)

Read all about it http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-amazon-prime-ai....

Here's one for anyone 40 or older here (though anyone younger is welcome to chime in): What technology exists or is possible today that you would have thought was a joke back in the day?

Tags: amazon, delivery, drone

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, a lot of disasters are made worse because the hurricane, tsunami, or whatever makes road transportation inpossible. Helicopters are good for delivering large quantities of supplies to camps or gathering points, but bringing food, temporary shelter, or medical supplies to isolated individual parties would seem an ideal use for drones.

Warren Buffet, the best investor of our time, thinks Amazon's Jeff Bezos is the greatest CEO in America. Twenty years ago, Amazon consisted of two computers, perched on a desk made from a door and two sawhorses, sitting in one-car garage. Now it's the largest online retailer on earth, the vanguard of the electronic publishing industry, a major player in the cloud computing industry, and sitting on billions of dollars in cash. If anyone can pull off a new George Jetson delivery system-- with a built-in gee whiz marketing factor-- it's going to be Bezos. But the gee whiz won't last long.

I've spent my whole life watching science fiction become science fact. Computers on my desk. Computers on my lap. Computers in my pocket. Laser printers. Cell phones. Microwave ovens. Giant flat screen TVs. Wireless high speed Internet. Robots exploring alien worlds. Paying tolls on the freeway without even slowing down. At first, every one seemed like a technological miracle. Today, I hardly remember what life was like without them.

One day, a flying robot will deliver packages to my door. Sure, I think it'll happen. It keeps on happening, in one form or another. The amazing wonder of tomorrow becomes the casual, mundane miracle of the days that follow.

I doubt it, it looks like something from an episode of Futurama. I would be more inclined to believe that a similar operation could be put in place when teleportation is perfected. 

Which will be shortly after tourist trips into black holes will go live.

But you can already travel to backwoods Tennessee and Louisiana.

So Bender will teleport to my house with my Amazon delivery?  I can live with that!

I'm not writing it off yet. Technology grows too quickly for me to predict what the future holds. If it's feasible, and I believe it could be made feasible, it will be done. Drones are expected to fill the skies within the next decade.

I'm a 20-something, and if you'd have told me as a teen that we would have smart phones by the time I was in college, I would have said, yeah right, when I'm 90 or something. If you'd have told me they'd be printing human tissue before I hit 30, I would have cautiously backed away from you while maintaining eye contact.

If you told me 10 years ago that I would be playing with pieces of candy in HD on my phone while taking a shit, I'd have called you a liar.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Torture Works

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Unseen 2 minutes ago. 28 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service