I'm being straight up and honest, I think atheist are the cream of da crop in a world of theist.  I say this because I know one thing about all atheist, they can figure out B.S.  That's why I'm asking this pointed question, do you think this is racist?

http://global.christianpost.com/news/florence-colgate-face-pretties...

Views: 1741

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting reply.. D. Lee

Maybe some atheist aren't ready for prime time...

You got that right.  For one thing, you won't learn to form plurals.  Some atheistS.

and sometimes i be us'in ebonics..

Yeah, I've read most of the comments here. I didn't look at the article though. What I think would've been more effective is if they had actually chosen people from various races/nationalities, and showcased how each face can have symmetry within its own race. Certainly, an African woman can have a symmetrical face even if it doesn't share the same features of a European woman's face. Symmetry is possible with all features: eye shape, nose size/shape, face shape, etc.

And, from what I've read, it was the author who used the word "pretty" instead of "symmetrical". That's clearly a mistake. "Pretty" is totally subjective, but symmetry is not. And to make a hyperbolic statement like "the prettiest face in the world" is setting the speaker up for massive criticism, and deservedly so. It would've been more effective to say, "This is an example of an almost perfectly symmetrical face." Surely, this is not the only symmetrical face in the world, and "pretty" cannot be measured.

Whether it is racist or not is secondary. I think these people set themselves up for objections to their conclusions when using subjective and hyperbolic language.

"This is an example of an almost perfectly symmetrical face." Surely, this is not the only symmetrical face in the world, and "pretty" cannot be measured."

Coleen very good observation.. here's some of the copy:

"A London teen has been found to have the world's most perfect face. Eighteen-year-old Florence Colgate's face is perfectly symmetrical, which is considered the major beauty trait"

Now this is according to "Science" and we all know how people all over the world respect science...Notice the wording the WORLD'S most "perfect" face.  This is what brought in the racial bias because all of the world's people don't think THEIR WESTERN OR EUROPEAN idea of symetry make a face "perfect"...and we know it''s European because they have a big old picture of that "perfect" face...

http://www.ezakwantu.com/Gallery%20Lip%20Plugs%20Lip%20Plate.htm

Why do these "scientist" think that of all the people in the world, they'd would think a symmetical face is the most "perfect"?  This "propaganda" is what makes Japanese women get surgery to round their eyes.

This is not far from the racist 18th century scientific studies of the carnium, just a little more subtle..

There is a European idea that the left half of something is a mirror image of the right? That is news, not just to me, but probably to almost everyone who understands what symmetry means.

Propaganda doesn't make Japanese women want to westernize their eyes. It's a decision they make on their own based on their admiration of Western beauty. No one forces them to do it, least of all any sort of propaganda machine.

The word "propaganda" is a vast overstatement in this case. Propaganda is consciously and actively propagated by an agency bent on convincing people of a certain dogma. Western influence may be pervasive worldwide, but it is passive and unintentional.

I'm sure peer pressure plays a far greater role than any sort of propagandists.

com'on unseen don't do that...we are talking about ideas of BEAUTY when it comes to PERFECTION and this idea that semetry is the most beautiful IS the European cultural idea. Some culture just don't think when one side mirrors the other it is perfection when it comes to "beauty."

And with that said how did the Japanese women develop this idea of Western beauty which they obviously feel is better or 'more perfect" then their own?..as for peer pressure, do you mean from other Japanese women who want round eyes or from the West?

Propaganda is the correct word.

I find this fantastic coming from atheist.

prop·a·gan·da
   [prop-uh-gan-duh] Show IPA
noun
information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.
the particular doctrines or principles propagated by an organization or movement.
Roman Catholic Church .
a.
a committee of cardinals, established in 1622 by Pope Gregory XV, having supervision over foreign missions and the training of priests for these missions.
b.
a school (College of Propaganda)  established by Pope Urban VIII for the education of priests for foreign missions.
Archaic . an organization or movement for the spreading of propaganda.

OK, I agree with the definition and I know what it means..

The confusion as I see it, European scientist, historians, anthropoligist, sociaologist have spent a great deal of time looking outward, I look inward. I know what it means..

This point will never be reconciled by many of those with European ancestry. Too painful...

This point will never be reconciled by many of those with European ancestry.

Here's another comment that I'm unable to discern as a joke, a trolling remark, or a prejudice you truly hold dear regarding Europeans. Plus your previous point about "subtle" (white) racism makes me wonder if such prejudice against Europeans could even be of a racial nature.

Do you really feel you're being as objective as you can about this? It feels to me like you're playing with people's emotions. I don't want to use the word troll on you, because I still think your feelings are sincere. I tend to support an underdog's position (e.g. equalization for blacks), unless it's used to intentionally cause angst just for the sake of angst.

The confusion as I see it, European scientist, historians, anthropoligist, sociaologist have spent a great deal of time looking outward, I look inward.

I wouldn't mind hearing more of what you're finding when looking inward! But you're just indicting science, I'd agree, it's purpose is mostly to look outward.

Pope: I really do have a problem with a great deal of European cultural thought and behavior..if I didn't I'd be a cultural masochist. 

I'm doing in hope that those of European ancestry will look inward..but juding from the responses I don't know if they have it in them..

I don't like the term "underdog"..I'm not an underdog..I'm just subjected to white cultural supremacy..

Let me add this again, as atheist of European descent, I think you are the last of possibilities..

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 11 minutes ago. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.