When watching debates and interviews with atheists i always agree with them. However they tend to say that if you believe in god(s) you are stupid or that religion is "idiotic". Now i certainly agree that religion can be harmful, religious institutions are not always a force for good. But telling someone of faith so bluntly that they are wrong and in such a harsh way, surely that would only distance them from the idea of becoming non-religious or atheist. There are intelligent people who are theist and everyone has had moments in their life were an all knowing, kindly and loving god looks quite appeasing. Maybe instead of insulting them we should show that we understand where they are coming from and that we see their point, and slip in words like "however you must admit that..." or "the evidence is overwhelming..." so that it doesn't seem as though we see ourselves as being on some sort of higher ground. Then maybe they would be more comfortable and more open to new ways of thinking and ideas rather then being angry and constantly being on the defense or attacking.

Tags: atheists, debates, theists

Views: 445

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are well educated and well intentioned theists who are much smarter than I will ever be.  I do not discount everything they say, just because they are believers.  Some of them even make decent arguments for their religions.  Individually I don't find (most of) them stupid.  I find their beliefs stupid, misguided, and just plain silly. 
Stupid is a pretty crud word that I don't typically use in regards to people. Theism is certainly stupid as are a great many other ideas. I'd prefer to say that theists are deluded and ignorant.

Thank you thats good to hear,

you can acheive very positive results if you talk to someone on equal terms, it will be more likely that afterwards they will think about the arguments mentioned and question their beliefs rather then feeling insulted. However i think i will take a hard stand against theists who use religion as a way for them to spread their hate or their close minded views or supposed prophets that really only want money. Those people who use others for their own agenda or truely believe they are right. Even with overwhelming evidence standing in their way, they are a serious threat not just to atheists but to the people around them.

The problem is that it's not easy to understand where they're coming from. You don't think an adult who believes in leprechauns at the end of rainbows, or that toys can talk are delusional if not a little "slow"? It's the same thing.

Theists are NOT stupid but religion IS.

Theists are victims of the stupid thing called religion.

How is it dangerous?

Oh thats right you are going to talk to me about the MINORITY of fanatical religious people...

Religion is not dangerous and is not brain washing. You have zero evidence to prove this...

I don't hear the majority of mainstream religious people condemning the radical minority.  Do you? Didn't think so.  

That is because they mostly all believe the same thing.  It's just that the radical minority have the balls to act on it and speak it out loud.  

Religion is dangerous for any number of reasons!  Religion squashes progressive thought and it absolutely detests reason.  Religion oppresses.  Religion promotes protecting belief and faith any way necessary-- even with violence.  Religion revels in ignorance and bigotry.  Religion is dangerous intellectually, emotionally, and literally: people die for or because of religion absolutely every day.   

How ironic. After I just got finished reading this thread I turned on CNN's "This Week" and there was a clip of Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton saying that people in the 21st century in these countries that do not have democracy are no longer going to sit by and not demand their "God given rights".

So is Hillary Clinton stupid?  

Oooh, I like that.  May I borrow it?

Ah. Just what I was hoping for. Two intelligent, interesting, informative, and eloquently expressed responses. Thank you.

I believe Hillary Clinton is a voice of reason in a world gone mad even though I am skeptical of some of her views, but I am full of skepticism about everything, except this: There is no God.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service