Do you think that it should be legal for parents to use prayer as a method of healing to their children?

I recently read an article on a mother who relied on prayer to try and heal her now dead child. Do you guys think prayer should be allowed as an option? This is open to everybody, so please keep it civil.

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just piling on now. As long as the parents don't act irresponsibly and avoid medical care.
Absolutely not. It should be considered a form of abuse.
For a person to deny proper medical care to a child is a crime.  There is no middle ground.  Prayer or no prayer.  The mother who denies her child good, proper medical care for ANY reason, is solely responsible for the death of her own child.  As far as I'm concerned it's the same as murder.  This is not an issue that should be graced with even the slightest room for exceptions.  There are none.
The fact that they are using prayer should be irrelevant, since it is not a form of medical treatment. Basically, the question should be, did they seek appropriate medical care for their child? What they do outside of this (such as prayer) is not relevant.

I like this comment - I never thought about it like this before!  

if prayer is the only course of action you are taking, you are literally doing nothing and should be charged with medical neglect.
If prayer is to be a legally condoned method to treat illness, then it should also be a legally condoned method of paying the mortgage.  After all, if the premise is that wishful thinking and divine supplication will solve a problem, why limit the condoned methodology to medical problems?
Th problem with this line of reasoning is that with a mortgage, all that matters is whether the payment was made, not whether it was attempted, whereas with medical treatment, since outcomes cannot be assured, one can only insist that it is tried.
Ah, good point, Malcolm.  Maybe the parallel would work better if I were to suggest that prayers be used as an actual form of currency...still, it doesn't sound right.  I guess I was just trying to apply the concept of directed thoughts as effective actions to other areas.

As long as it is used as well as conventional medicine I see no harm in it.

But if mumbojumbo (including silly remedies like homoeopathy, exorcism, sacrificing a pig etc) is used INSTEAD of conventional medicine then the person that caused this should be held responsible for the outcome based on the local legislation for child neglect / murder.

No. No. No. NO. No. HELL NO!

If you want to pray, that's fine and dandy, but for the love of Basement Cat, get the kid proper medical attention!

Sure, it certainly can't hurt, but ONLY if it's used as a supplement to proper health care, not as a replacement.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service