If you really think about it there are fanatics on both sides. Religion is really only

a group of people believing in a certain way. Atheism to me is the same way

my beliefs and the right to them. I like to live my life with my own beliefs

so I do not begrudge anyone else in their beliefs.

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's pretty hilarious, nothing like comedy pointing out hypocrisy.

Defending religion is a bit of a Sisyphean task - I just want to make sure you actually want it. ;)

I think your reply was a good one.  Calling atheism a religion is just another way of claiming that we have the burden of proving god doesn't exist.  Pointing out that the religious can't prove that other people's gods don't exist is a good way to de-bunk that idea.

(Though I should add with regard to the cartoon that the Muslims believe that their god is the same as the Christian god--they just believe different things about Jesus and Mohammed.  It is good to know this beforehand in case some educated Christian happens to bring it up.  Though in my experience even the educated ones seem totally unaware of this.)

If the lack of belief in something is a belief system or religion, then I have a lot of religions. I have the I don't believe in leprechauns religion, the I don't believe in the greek gods (sheesh, that's a bunch of religions right there), the I don't believe Obama is a foreigner religion..... If atheism is a religion, then the term religion has no meaning at all.
I would say that it is not so much a religion as just an epistemology. It is just another idea of what exists.

I don't think of Atheism as a religion.  I think of it as a non-belief in a supreme spiritual being, or any spiritual being for that matter.  If I categorized every belief I have as a religion, my belief that the Earth is round, that my saxophone is made of brass, or that when I die there nothing after that moment for me as an individual, and all similar beliefs would become religions, and I don't think that's very rational.  I prefer to answer "none" when asked which religion I follow.  In fact, I'm anti-religion in so many ways, why would I want someone to tag me as being religious because I don't believe in something?

Just my two cents...

Here's some of my take on it:

It is suggested by many people that atheism is a religion.  Before we can examine why atheism is sometimes defined as a belief, it is important to understand who defines it as such.  Rarely, if ever, will you find another atheist, agnostic, freethinker, humanist, secularist, etc., putting the definition of religion in the context of atheism.  Almost without exception, it is the religious who do so.  The reason is simple.  The religious are are so caught up in their own beliefs that imagining another person without having any religious beliefs is largely incomprehensible. Those who claim that atheism is a religion do not only lack a clear understanding of what atheism is, they also tend to use religious terms to describe atheism.

You can read the rest of my article here..

From your article, I take it you are the originator of, "Atheism is a religion like off is a television channel."  A lovely analogy. 
It is of no concern to me if people want to call atheism a religion, just so long as it's understood that it not a theistic religion.  And if they understand that it is a set of beliefs based on observable, demonstrable, provable, empirical, scientific evidence, while theirs is based on nothing but wishful thinking.
family guy did an episode with peter creating his own religion centering around "the fonz" from happy days. hilarious. anyway, i agree with the definition from the dictionary. a religion must have a supernatural element so atheism is not a religion. this can be explained with one of newton's laws, action/reaction: we are simply a group of people forced to label ourselves because another group labeled themselves. seriously though, we should create a religion like scientology and profit from it. let's do a scientific/psychological experiment, and see how many christians we can convert :)
No atheism is not a religion.

The word religion is sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system, but religion differs from private belief in that it has a public aspect. Most religions have organized behaviors, including clerical hierarchies, a definition of what constitutes adherence or membership, congregations of laity, regular meetings or services for the purposes of veneration of a deity or for prayer, holy places (either natural or architectural), and/or scriptures.

...Atheism has none of those, therefore cannot be considered a religion.

If we go by your definition of religion, then fans of a band can be considered a part of a religion.

HOWEVER, atheism is protected under our first amendment, our right to freedom FROM religion.

It is wrong to define atheism as an absence of belief because when you negate something, you automatically affirm its opposite. Unlike what most people assume, there is not only one opposite of a belief in an existence of one god, so it is debatable which belief an atheist affirms when denying the belief in god. Whatever that may be, it must be a belief of some kind.

Just to make things straight, a belief is a very broad term and includes our belief in the sensory data we gather from our senses, belief in their interpretation as it is done by our brain, etc. Therefore it is necessary to accept certain things without evidence to even be able to function on a day-to-day basis. However, it is much easier to take our sensory input and interpretation of it at face value than it is for an abstract, invisible, omniscient and all-powerful god. To get back on the subject...

Having beliefs is necessary. If I want to claim I do not hold any beliefs whatsoever, I need to believe what I`m saying. In other words, I believe that I do not hold any kind of belief, which is a contradiction.

There is the other possibility of assessing that the existence of god cannot ever be proven by any scientific method and should be, therefore, moved aside "until more evidence is available". But it is, again, a belief (that god`s existence can, or cannot, be proven). Maybe we are in need of a different word because belief is too strongly associated with religion. But if you consider it in a broader context (as I have shown earlier) you will see that  every person which states something expresses some kind of a belief.

So, being an atheist can include some or all of the following:

1. A belief that God does not exist

2. A belief that God cannot be proven to exist

3. A belief that Religion is unnecessary

4. A belief that God is unnecessary

5. A belief that we should not bother ourselves with any of it (which is the closest to the "absence of belief" mentioned in the earlier posts)

There could be more, but you get the point.

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 53 minutes ago. 44 Replies

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Simon Paynton 56 minutes ago. 4 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 3 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service