If you really think about it there are fanatics on both sides. Religion is really only

a group of people believing in a certain way. Atheism to me is the same way

my beliefs and the right to them. I like to live my life with my own beliefs

so I do not begrudge anyone else in their beliefs.

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'I don't know what you mean by "glory",' Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't — till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'

'But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Jared, you're as stubborn and nonsensical as Humpty Dumpty.  You're right about the Greek, of course.  theos is the root of theism.  Which is [belief in] gods.  Which is what I said.

I have said nowhere that I am an agnostic.  I am not an agnostic.

Words can convey concepts effectively only to the extent that the words' essential meanings, with regard to their context and syntax, lead to accurate comprehension and appreciation in the mind of the reader or listener.  Good communicators make careful choices that are based on our shared understanding of what words mean.  Of course words are the choices of individual people--but their value as tools is determined by their aptness as conveyors of meaning.

"I've noted you compared me to Humpty Dumpty.  I don't see what this adds to the discussion."

It adds humor.  And it uses a fitting illustration to emphasize the silliness of the notion that words do not have certain meanings that we, as possessors of the language, have by consensus ascribed to them.

I would say no. In fact it is the resentment of any religious belief and we are not organized with one strict set of rules. We don't have a centralized representation for us, nor do we perform rituals to show our conformity. Essentially we are individuals, that should never be thought of as a group.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 60 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 16 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service