If you really think about it there are fanatics on both sides. Religion is really only

a group of people believing in a certain way. Atheism to me is the same way

my beliefs and the right to them. I like to live my life with my own beliefs

so I do not begrudge anyone else in their beliefs.

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can see the religious philosopher's obfuscate of your point already: "but isn't a belief in evidence also a form of belief as it requires a belief that we are free from the observation effect, therefore blablablabla"

At some point, in the real world, one sometimes just have to make an approximation to reach a conclusion. Occationally, things are not there because they are not there, not because they are playing hide and seek.

Thanks for explaining that, just considering the argument.
Maybe the question should be; should science or evolution be considered a religion? One thing I don't like is when as an atheist people assume I "believe nothing". It's not true. I have some very strong beliefs on my origins. They are just more grounded in science and evolution. I have a LOT of faith. Just not in a fictional man in the sky.
Agreed, well said. Atheism and anti-theism are not the same thing, although they can coexist.

By saying it is a widely-used definition does not change what the actual definition is, therefore by saying it is a widely-used definition, all you are actually saying is that it is the widely used miss-perception used instead of accurate definition. But in most cases when someone says they believe in atheism, it is simply poor use of the English language and either not what they would say if they understood what atheist meant, or more likely, they were led into the incorrect assertion based on a psychologically leading question like "what is your belief?".

This is a common miss-perception of atheism, atheism is the non-belief in a god, it is not a belief that there is no god.

Yeah it is. Agnostic is being on an equal likely-hood of god existing & not existing. Atheist is believing that there is no god. Anti-theist is someone who opposes belief in god. Like an extremist atheist.

Agnostic does not at all give an equal likely-hood of god existing, agnostic is that the knowledge of a god is unknowable, it has no affect on percentages.

My definition of atheist is the actual definition of atheist and not simply my opinion of it.

There is no such thing as an extremist atheist, there are people who have embraced the term from Dawkins of "militant atheist", however that is a distinct view of religion that is not what the definition of atheist alone is and admittedly often leads to the incorrect and illogical assertion that it is a belief.

Check out  Antitheism

Antitheism (sometimes anti-theism) is active opposition to theism. It can be construed as aggressive or extreme atheism. Antithesis are a sub-set of atheists.

You definition of atheist is not incorrect, but its incomplete.

a·the·ism

   [ey-thee-iz-uhm]  Show IPA
–noun
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no god.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
You just left out the first one.

And you left out the second.
touche
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but are you allowing a dictionary define your personal belief system?

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but are you allowing a dictionary define your personal belief system?

No. But the talk here isn't just about my personal beliefs, its about atheism as a whole.

RSS

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service