Just this new commercial "Child of the 90s". Boy does time go by fast or what. Now that I am all grown up, it seems the best times in life were most from my childhood. It would be pretty awesome to take a time machine and go back to the past and see yourself from the outside in. One thing for sure, life was so simple and innocent back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gNJKxMFA...!

Views: 453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Military Officer or Police Officer?

Koninklijke Landmacht, Adam.

sweet

This is from Richard Dawkins book the God Delusion. I didnt understand this when I first read it and I kept on reading it until I did ...

"Think of an experience from your childhood. Something you remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there. After all, you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else would you remember it?
But here is the bombshell: you weren’t there. Not a single atom that is your body today was there when that event took place. Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Whatever you are, therefore, you are not the stuff of which you are made. If that doesn’t make the hair stand at the back of your neck, read it again until it does."

Never left it.

Not my childhood so much as my college years. I'd try to get laid a bit more than I was. 

I don't miss my childhood as much as I miss the i could do anything i wanted feeling.  I didn't worry over the tomorrow. I  took chances, tried new things, and didn't worry over consequences.  

I had an absolutely horrific childhood.  My mother dropped me off at an asylum for 5 years because she didn't want to be bothered with children.  That's 5 birthdays and 5 Christmases without so much as a phone call.  It was hardly a "simpler" time and was miles from "innocent."  It was dauntingly complex and I spent my days studying the sociological hierarchy of the tiny environment that was my life for my entire adolescence. 

What I remember the most from my childhood was being raised by the television.  (Perhaps why I'm pursuing my Master's in Media Studies.)  I retained every commercial jingle and every obscure television reference from age 10-18.

When I moved out I took a strong position on mass media, gave away my television and radio, and haven't touched one in 13 years.  (The last Simpsons episode I saw was "The Telltale Head.")

I've spent my adult years collecting childhood things, perhaps in an effort to re-construct the childhood I never had.  Jim Henson was an innovator, a role model, and a hero from my youth, so I've collected over 40 Jim Henson-related records, and 360 television shows, movies, ad spots, and specials connected to the man - right down to his existential college art film.

Looking around my room I see Fraggle dolls, 15 volumes of the Sesame Street Treasury, and other childhood favorite items living happily beside my "grown-up" items like Hofstadter's Gödel Escher Bach, Cage's 50th anniversary edition of Silence: Lectures and Writings, my silver and china set, etc.

Perhaps the most iconic example of my child/adult coexistence is my Fisher Price wind-up "Record Player" (music box) that shares a shelf with my Denon DP-60L Rosewood turntable and McIntosh amplifier.  I will never sell that little music box.

My childhood was bleak and dismal, but I refuse to grow up completely.  Sure I'll give lectures around the city on experimental sound art and music history, but when I get home I'll cue up Ernie singing, "I Don't Want to Live On The Moon" before I turn it for bed.

Never forget that, "Elmo loves you!"

Innerspace that was awful. Enjoy your collectables and toys, you deserve them and they are clearly an important part of your coping system. I will let you in on a little secret, dispute having had a wonderful childhood from my lovely hippy, farming parents when all our kids are out of the house and i am tidying up i will often sit on the floor and play with our kid's legos for a little while.
Regards,
Judith.

Hugs just hugs. Mine was bad but wow. I'm glad you found an escape though music and it lead you to your career.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service