As a movie lover, but also an atheist I don't know if I liked Life of Pi or it was just a beautiful bullshit (just as the Bible). What are your thoughts on the movie?

Views: 630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a movie, entertainment.  If you're looking for truth on the big screen, or in novels, you're not likely to find it.

I liked it. It had great visuals and for once: a story that touched on spirituality without giving you a solid answer or pissing you off. It had great actors and surprising dramatic depth.

And for the record, the Bible is more ugly then beautiful bullshit.

I liked Life of Pi (I haven't read the book yet), and was told by several people that it was a very religious, belief-affirming movie. I didn't really get that out of it. I thought the message was something like "Believe in God because it's a better story," which doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to believe in God. It was a good story, though, and visually stunning. 

When a coworker gave me the basic synopsis of the movie, he revealed to me that it was basically a stealth christian propaganda movie like Book of Eli was. [SPOILERS] I enjoyed Book of Eli as an action movie, up until I knew that the book in question was a bible (a King James version at that), Then I was interested at the concept of protecting the book to keep it out of the hands of people that would use it to enslave the world (again!), but was severely disappointed at the end with the bs miracle blindness schtick. After that disappointment, I'm loath to give Life of Pi a chance, even though it has a tiger, and I really like tigers.

I'm going to spoil this for anyone who hasn't seen it, but I TOTALLY disagreed with the author at the end about which story was better. The real story is an incredible, savage, and tragic story of human survival versus a made up fantasy of adventure as an allegory for human drama and psychological conflict.

At the same time, I totally appreciated the main character at the end asking "which story do you prefer?" and then he tells the man, "God is like that." Or something like that, which I thought was a fantastically pointed statement that really gets to the heart of belief. People who believe like the warm, fuzzy feeling of an inspirational story. I think those of us who don't would rather have the truth. I left the theater thinking that anyone who believed in a god was just told that they believe in a myth because it makes them feel good.

I was really disappointed that they didn't play out in a montage sequence what really happened.

People who believe like the warm, fuzzy feeling of an inspirational story. I think those of us who don't would rather have the truth. I left the theater thinking that anyone who believed in a god was just told that they believe in a myth because it makes them feel good.

I completely agree. This is why I couldn't understand those who were saying that the movie had such a positive religious message. 

I just saw it a couple of nights ago.  I really liked it, but it in no way changed my thoughts about any deity.  The message I took from it is that how we perceive events and how we narrate our own lives matters.  That, and never ever get into a pissing contest with a tiger.

I did a little bit of more research, and the argument from the author's word is: "Believe in God because it is the better story".

People were saying how profound this was, but really for me is a weak argument, I mean, you 'believe' (accept is a better word) something is true because it is fucking true not beautiful. You feel beauty, you think reality.

What I got from it was basically how complex we are and that religions should focus on the good thing they have.

I was incredibly moved by both stories. At first I thought I would rather the first to have been true but then I settled on the second, because it was not a lie and it's assertion would not have certified the narrator as insane (I liked Pi, and wanted him to be rational, despite that impossibility). This story makes me want to write about a character discovering reality and escaping from the fantasies of religion. 

I love movies about possession, the end times, 666, etc. Religion in movies doesn't bother me unless the movie has an evangelical goal. 

I haven't seen Life of Pi yet. Just moved it to the top of the Netflix queue.

Now that I've seen it, I must say it was very well done, though I've also heard that the tiger nearly drowned.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 45 minutes ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 12 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 48 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 14 hours ago. 14 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service