Question: How many of us still own a bible?

At work I found, to my chagrin, that I still keep my bible in my locker.

I was having a conversation with a theist, about things that didn't involve religion, and some how he steered it towards how he often reads his bible. I keep a track in my bible, as a book mark, and I started thinking about the contents of the track. For instance: "Do you feel sad?"… read Mathew chapter 5:11 (not the actual wording but…). I always kept the track as a mind fuck for me. I'd say that the bible gave me a road map to how to live my life; as long as I adhered to that little pamphlet that I acquired somewhere in my travels. What bullshit.

When I get to work today I'm giving that guy that bible… What's an Atheist need with a bible? what am I trying to hold on to? Think this is subliminal? Am I trying to hold on to the last visages of my failed stabbed at religion? Yep, started questioning my new found unbelief...

Can't bring myself to throw it away. Don't know why. Guess I still look at the damn thing as something personal, something of value; despite the fact that I think it's all bullshit. I've had it for so long and it's followed me clear around the world and back that I just don't want to just shit can it. But giving it to another human being just don't seem right to my atheist ass… LOL. Quandary.

Views: 1136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any high school science class far exceeds science as Bronze Age understood science to be, so you already have a degree as it were and understand far more than a person from that era.  Of course the Torah, the Bible, the Koran all rely on that era's "science" and most "believers" don't have a clue about modern science about anything.

Sadly, I once thought that I have a very nice grasp of the sciences, but if one studies anything to any depth, it become clear that you must get over idea of 'knowing everything', and if you claim this you are by definition 'an idiot'.

I remember going to lectures about extreamophyles about 1994, when some of the first results came back about deep ocean thermal vents. Since I have been interested in Microbial Fuelcells, which often time use bacteria that are classed as 'extreamophyles', due to their ability to live under weird conditions and extract energy from compounds normally not considered.

This area of study has now opened up the posibility of a much a larger set of options for life. With a much larger number of other planets and moons that could support life just in our own star system. As it stands the biosphere now is much deeper into Earth's crust than was one thought, and higher into our atmosphere. This includes bacteria and some multicelled organisms that can survive intense radiation, temperatures in excess of 80 degrees centigrade, pH's of <0 and >12, and pressures similar to the 'surface' of Jupiter. A few creatures can survive for decades and much longer under full desication.

Most people when they hear about this are floored, and some are not impressed because 'god is great!'

For me it is the realization that I might be condemned to a permanent state of 'catching up'.

Consider this; I was born February 23, 1944, a "War Baby" predating my "Baby Boomer" bride for the last 47-years who is 4.5-years my junior.  Even when I was a pre-teen I knew I wanted a career in electronics, but didn't have a clue about computers of any type. 

Consider this; Bell Labs demonstrated the first transistor in 1948 and I distinctly remember the first transistor radio brought by a "rich kid" to my 7th grade class so he and his friends could listen to the World Series;  They were all excited about that ball game, but I could barely wait to get my hands on that 3-transistor wonder.  Today, the dual core processor in this laptop contains over a million transistors; therefore the entire development of practical transistor devices has taken place during my life-span. 

I've spent a career in electronics and computer hardware and it's almost a death race to stay current.  Be that as it may, I'm a dinosaur in that I date from when engineers replaced actual discrete components like chips.  No more.

I left that some time back and now have my own company where I design and build ozone-based water and air treatment systems for large luxury yachts, ships.as well as municipal and commercial applications.  It is an absolute necessity to keep learning every day, and that's good advice from my spry 91-year-old North Carolina mom; "never stop learning new stuff."

Hey Ken, I am also an electrical design engineer who designs avionics computers. For twenty six years I have been lagging just behind cutting edge technology because 30,000 feet up or 100 feet up at 300mph are not places to find out if it's any good or not.

G'Day Robert, I hear ya' mate.  Beginning when I was a 13-y-o kid and in the Leaksville, (Now "Eden) squad of the North Carolina wing of the Civil Air Patrol when I first flew an Aeronica Champion @ 14, and lasting up to this day I was nuts about airplanes.  I just heard two radial engines and had to step out of my shop to look and dream.  It was two  T28s in formation, and there are a lot of War Birds in this area of Texas due to the mostly benign climate.  Last summer a P51 came over in full military power at a very low level; WOW!!!  We live way out in the country where they can get away with it and often do.  Avionics, I should have been there but ended up doing crypto system repair in the US Army Security Agency when I was drafted in '65 for the 'Nam buildup.  Served 7-years and made my departure as a Staff Sergeant in'72.

Man we have all been busy little campers! ;p)

I don't camp as much as I did before I married.  The missus thinks "Roughing it" is a hotel with no room service.

Other than that, yes very busy, very busy indeed.

...condemned to a permanent state of 'catching up'?

Welcome to the state, James. Which route did you take to get here?

That is provided any bible-pounder even feels a desire or as much as a minute need to "catch up"; they would much prefer that science leave them alone and not call them out of things that any high-school science student knows today, with the probable exception of the home-schooled mob who are seldom if ever taught science and think ID is science.

As you can tell, I have zero respect for the "science" of any of the three monotheistic belief systems and most others.

...they would much prefer that science leave them alone....

Ignorance can be either bliss or misery, and it's often dangerous.

A young college-age woman once told me she'd been home-schooled and added that she didn't believe humans evolved from monkeys.

I asked her if she'd ever heard of monkeys doing to each other what we humans do to each other. She had no answer. I never saw her again so I don't know if she took my question to her home-school teachers.

If I had known then about bonobo behavior, I would have told her we humans have some catching up to do.

Yeah, "monotheistic science" is oxymoronic.

The "evolved from monkeys" is the common mistaken claim made by creationists that have had that comment drilled into their minds by co-religionist sharing the common mind virus of religion.  The great apes, chimps and monkeys are just as evolved in their own species as Human Beings; we just shared a common ancestor a long time in the past and took divergent evolutionary paths to the present day. 

The fact that we and they share 98% of our DNA is beyond their grasp, just as is the other fact that all Human Beings on the planet today have 99.8% to 99.9% identical DNA  However, I was told by one fundie about 12-13-years ago that he thought black people were a different species, all I could say was WOW! to such idiocy.

Just about the same path anyone else takes when we are still honest, the awareness of ignorance, and the desire to not stay there!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service