Question: How many of us still own a bible?

At work I found, to my chagrin, that I still keep my bible in my locker.

I was having a conversation with a theist, about things that didn't involve religion, and some how he steered it towards how he often reads his bible. I keep a track in my bible, as a book mark, and I started thinking about the contents of the track. For instance: "Do you feel sad?"… read Mathew chapter 5:11 (not the actual wording but…). I always kept the track as a mind fuck for me. I'd say that the bible gave me a road map to how to live my life; as long as I adhered to that little pamphlet that I acquired somewhere in my travels. What bullshit.

When I get to work today I'm giving that guy that bible… What's an Atheist need with a bible? what am I trying to hold on to? Think this is subliminal? Am I trying to hold on to the last visages of my failed stabbed at religion? Yep, started questioning my new found unbelief...

Can't bring myself to throw it away. Don't know why. Guess I still look at the damn thing as something personal, something of value; despite the fact that I think it's all bullshit. I've had it for so long and it's followed me clear around the world and back that I just don't want to just shit can it. But giving it to another human being just don't seem right to my atheist ass… LOL. Quandary.

Views: 1131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I still have one that my parent's gave to me on my first communion sitting in a box somewhere. I had a second one that my grandmother gave me when I went through confirmation that I gave to my nephew when my sister had him baptized. If there are more lurking about, I don't know and don't really care, but those two were gifts from family so I still think fondly of them.

I keep two that belonged to my parents who died when I was six. Also have my mothers Ouija board.

But these are items I keep only as a connection to people I can barely remember.

BUT what I bought a few years ago for a dollar is a two record set, Holy Bible The New And Old Testaments! Have yet to listen to it, but I like having it just because its on vinyl.It makes me laugh.

Bible, Qur'an, Gospel of the FSM, Bhagavad Gita, Dhammapada, and a few other mythology books.

I've owned a print KJV with a small concordance for many years and use it in my occasional attempts to embarrass xians. I recently bought (for 99 cents) a Kindle version so I can do without a concordance.

I'm about to use it to partly support my decision to no longer pledge allegiance to the flag. I will refer to the under god term but will depend more heavily on the 1940 SCOTUS ruling that said the purpose of the Pledge is to bring children into the political culture. I regularly tell adults I will debate the issue when they pledge allegiance to the Constitution, and will refer to the biblical verse on giving up childish things.

Good for you, Tom.  You might also want to use some of the points made in this post concerning the blatant un-Constitutional nature of the current pledge:

http://goodatheistarguments.blogspot.com/2010/11/pledge-of-allegian...

Thanks, Mo.

The Supreme Court fears the theocrats and will leave the under god in the Pledge.

I think it ironic that without those words in the Pledge America won two world wars, but when Congress adds those words we start losing wars.

Also, the word under says American theists want a submissive, slave-like role. In contrast, in both WW1 and WW2 German theists wanted an equal role; their Army belt buckles had the words GOTT MIT UNS (god with us). It may be a coincidence, but one WW2 history says Germans, whether advancing, fighting in place, or retreating, killed 50% more Allied soldiers.

You are welcome.  I hope it comes in handy.

With regard to your point about wars:  One might be able to argue that once one starts thinking he or she is annointed by god, then one becomes careless about entering into wars.  Most wars are won or lost even before they begin.  A cautious and circumspect people look long and hard before entering into a war for that very reason.

I still have all versions I was using, the old and new king james versions, the NIV, the Amplified Version, The New American Version, I even have the JW's one- the New World Version. I think reading all those versions eventually contributed to my atheist view point and my free-thinking stand point. But I still have them, maybe I would not throw books away....

I certainly do...just in case I run out of TP.

That's right, Sears DID quit putting out a catalog, didn't they? When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for it to arrive in the mail, so I could thumb through the bra ads.

Hahaha...another kindred soul. :D

A third lasciviously kindred ... soul?

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.