sometimes I feel a moment's worth of offense when someone says "God Bless You" to me.
and when I sneeze and someone says it, I never say thanks, which offends other people.

what is wrong with me? :(
does anyone else feel this way?

(sry, didnt know what category to put this under)

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

me ...uhmmmm

it depends.

if his/her intention is really good (whatever his beliefs) i'll accept it.
politeness.
Yeah, its a funny one. I'm from the UK where it's always "bless you" (nobody ever says "gesundheit" or puts "God" in front of "bless you"), but even as a Christian I used to say something like, "thanks - that was a close one, my soul nearly escaped that time!". A few people ask what you mean, but I was always surprised how many other people also knew the origin of the phrase and would then laugh with you at such a ridiculous idea. Think about it; how many people today - Christian or not - really say "bless you" because they are worried your soul will escape to the devil if they don't?! It's purely a cultural habit.

I live in the Netherlands and here it's "gezondheid" meaning health, same as German. I think that's also what most people saying "bless you" would say they mean - that they wish you well and hope you aren't coming down with pneumonia or something terrible...
Hi Des,

I do NOT feel offended by any means when someone says "god bless you" when I sneeze. I feel that it is the intention of the person saying it to be of "good will" and "sincerity" when they say it - even if it's out of habit. And whether I believe in god or not. I'm more a tolerant Atheist than a militant one. However, When someone comes knocking on my door spreading their "so called "WORD", I politely say, "I'm sorry, I'm an Atheist". And if they do not accept that right from the get go - well, THEN we have a problem! LOL

RSS

Blog Posts

The Void of Silence

Posted by Carol Foley on July 31, 2014 at 11:02pm 2 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service