sometimes I feel a moment's worth of offense when someone says "God Bless You" to me.
and when I sneeze and someone says it, I never say thanks, which offends other people.

what is wrong with me? :(
does anyone else feel this way?

(sry, didnt know what category to put this under)

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

me ...uhmmmm

it depends.

if his/her intention is really good (whatever his beliefs) i'll accept it.
politeness.
Yeah, its a funny one. I'm from the UK where it's always "bless you" (nobody ever says "gesundheit" or puts "God" in front of "bless you"), but even as a Christian I used to say something like, "thanks - that was a close one, my soul nearly escaped that time!". A few people ask what you mean, but I was always surprised how many other people also knew the origin of the phrase and would then laugh with you at such a ridiculous idea. Think about it; how many people today - Christian or not - really say "bless you" because they are worried your soul will escape to the devil if they don't?! It's purely a cultural habit.

I live in the Netherlands and here it's "gezondheid" meaning health, same as German. I think that's also what most people saying "bless you" would say they mean - that they wish you well and hope you aren't coming down with pneumonia or something terrible...
Hi Des,

I do NOT feel offended by any means when someone says "god bless you" when I sneeze. I feel that it is the intention of the person saying it to be of "good will" and "sincerity" when they say it - even if it's out of habit. And whether I believe in god or not. I'm more a tolerant Atheist than a militant one. However, When someone comes knocking on my door spreading their "so called "WORD", I politely say, "I'm sorry, I'm an Atheist". And if they do not accept that right from the get go - well, THEN we have a problem! LOL

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Davis Goodman 29 minutes ago. 63 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Physeter 39 minutes ago. 11 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 7 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 25 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service