Some businesses readily demonstrate a preference for religiosity or have overtly religious management teams. One example is Chick-fil-A which cites religion as reasons for closing on Sunday and opposing gay marriage.

1. Are you, as a consumer, less likely to spend at a business that is overtly religious? Why or why not?

2. Do you keep track of which businesses bill themselves as religious, which have taken no public stance, and which are run by atheists? Do you know of any resources for keeping track?

3. Say you pulled into a gas station and read this message on the pump. Would you still buy gas there? Say you have a choice between a Catholic hospital and a secular hospital. Do you avoid the Catholic hospital because it is Catholic?

Views: 928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"remind everyone of the "real" reason for the season"

I always thought the real reason was to 'sell' something. If religion is included, this seems to become true.

The secondary reason seems to be to 'visit with family and friends to remind oneself why we communicate infrequently'. My last experience with Xmas seemed to involve this secondary reason.

A third reason seems to involve vacation time, many times with pay, and time away from 'school'. For me, through my early years, seemed to be the best reason. Sadly it should be optionally available for better weather.

Celebrating Christ's birth seems rather dated and without much meaning for me. I would rather celebrate the birthdays of more recent persons, such as scientists, comedians, ex-presidents, or recently decommisioned dictators...   

Axial tilt is the reason for the season.

I saw that on a t-shirt once.

The truth will win out (maybe).

It's the 21st century for fuck's sake, why oh why are we still burdened with this shit.

Why do they even need to know such private information?

Hospitals ask for that information because many religions have chaplains/counselors assigned to the hospital who make rounds to be of comfort / service to the patients and families of that religious persuasion. 

They do not "need" to know it, and you do not need to fill it out.  It's just a service.

It does not to my knowledge show up on medical charts, and it does not affect the quality of care at all.

...and it does not affect the quality of care at all.

Hahaha, you should move to the mid-west.

For me, I don't particularly have a problem with a religious business.  In fact, I'd say being closed on Sunday (or Saturday, or Friday, or whichever applies) would earn them some points in my book.  Of course, they will obviously lose all my business on that day of the week, but not on the others.

I rate most businesses based on a cost/benefit analysis (price vs quality of product or service) and on ethics. 

The cost-benefit I think doesn't need much explanation.

Ethics, however, might.

It's not unethical to not have your business open on Sunday, just because I may want to shop there, and more than it is unethical for you to close your shop overnight.  If I want to shop at 2AM and the business owner has things he'd rather be doing at that time (be it go to church, spend time with family, or sleep, whatever) that's my problem.  I do have a problem with Chick-Fil-A in that they spent effort, and maybe money, to enforce discriminatory practices.  They have lost my custom, totally, as a result.  Prior to their anti-gay stance, I actually thought rather highly of them, in that they were not hypocritical (like a lot of Christian businesses) in which they talk a good religion game, but that they still expected their peons to work on Sundays.

The other ethical stance that usually loses my a business my custom is advertising practices.  Preying on stupid people, or misleading advertising, hidden fine print, those sorts of things put me off.  Yes, I'm usually very good about spotting shenanigans, but, if a business shows me they are overtly deceptive, I can't guarantee I'll always catch their game.  Thus, Id be setting myself up to be conned.  No thanks, I'll just pass.

Any other unethical practices, well, some I right off as the nature of capitalism, some I don't.  I'd have to evaluate other examples on a case by case basis.  But, in general, unethical practices are a pretty good way to get me to avoid a business.

I do support some types of businesses, but not to the exclusion of others.  I'd support an atheistic business, I like supporting businesses that support the charities I like, too.  I also like to support local businesses, if only to help my local economy.

I do avoid businesses which make it clear they don't want me or my custom, so I'd have to pass on the gas station above.

I guess that sorta sums up my feelings on the topic.

Nice discussion, I must say!  I had never paused to give this topic any real thought until now.  Thanks for the great, thought-inducing, topic!

Do you know what?  I actually would avoid this.  Their whole attitude is just appalling. Why should I support this disgusting discriminatory attitude? 

If they were Buddhists or Hindus, I probably would. If they were right-wing nut job evangelists, probably not, if I had an alternative.

I remember applying for a job when I was younger. This was a job doing marketing for a wood products company in a suburb of Bend, Oregon, which itself is smaller than a lot of suburbs of Portland, Oregon, where I lived at the time.

I did a brief interview which seemed to go okay. But then I was told that they had all applicants take a "psychological survey." After looking through it I recognized it as a screening questionnaire I had picked up off a Scientology table at my university. 

It had weird questions like "Have you ever felt guilty about looking at a particularly beautiful child?" (Looking for guilty pedophiles?)

I left without filling out the questionnaire. I didn't and don't want to work for Scientologists. I'd rather work for some of the milder stripes of Christians.

I admit I do avoid them if I know of their religiosity.

I know this makes me a bigot but I have been around this stuff so long I am burnt smooth out on it.

I just dont want to hear it any more.

Having first hand experience with how hypocritical the christian/evangelical business owners are, I do go out of my way to avoid them.

I would leave that gas station A) because of the stupid message, and B) they used a period when they should have used a comma.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service