Some businesses readily demonstrate a preference for religiosity or have overtly religious management teams. One example is Chick-fil-A which cites religion as reasons for closing on Sunday and opposing gay marriage.

1. Are you, as a consumer, less likely to spend at a business that is overtly religious? Why or why not?

2. Do you keep track of which businesses bill themselves as religious, which have taken no public stance, and which are run by atheists? Do you know of any resources for keeping track?

3. Say you pulled into a gas station and read this message on the pump. Would you still buy gas there? Say you have a choice between a Catholic hospital and a secular hospital. Do you avoid the Catholic hospital because it is Catholic?

Views: 941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really? Even if it was a good bargain? 

I can get the same bargain and a sane clerk to process my sale.  I don't need some nutcase who believes in the boogieman processing my sale because I don't know what else they might believe - like saving their own soul by using my credit card info to donate a thousand dollars to some televangelist.

Either you are far more hard core than I am, or you realize that it won't happen much there.  Here, I might have to raise a fuss almost every time I shop.  OK, not that bad, but I don't care to put forth that much effort.

And, I'm of the opinion that if I were to take up a policy like that, it may do more harm than good for my position, public relations wise.

It really doesn't happen much here.  I've found that the believers mostly tend to be country folk -> and even then most aren't very vocal.  I've been back in the city for almost 3 years and I've only run into one bible-thumper and 2 people who said they believed in Gawd when the subject came up.  I've met more Scientologists than Christians here and the majority of religious people I've met have been Muslim.

I've never had a cashier try to "bless me" (unless I sneezed). But when I was a cashier, I got a lot of customers blessing me.

Most shops here do not promote a specific brand of christianity or theism and no one really promotes any such theme unless you go to catholic bookshop which is within the church precinct. I just shop anywhere.

What can I say. Messages like the one on the gas pump really piss me off! One Cristian nation under delusion.

I think the reasons here get mixed up a bit.  If I avoid a business, it's because (1) I disagree with political causes that they financially support, (2) I find their business practices to be discriminatory or unethical, or (3) I was displeased with the product or service.  Some business owners may cite religious reasons as to why they do what they do, but I would avoid companies that meet the above criteria no matter the reason.

Regarding those standing in the prayer circle I wonder if they have already washed their hands for the impending surgical procedure?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/24/7-religious-companies-besi...

Number 3 on the list of religious companies was Tyson Foods which are headquartered here in northern Arkansas. Don Tyson (founder & CEO) used to be one of the biggest party guys around. He loved his cocaine. He's older now so maybe he's mellowed a little.

Didn't our Bush Jr strike you as a tad religious?  Wasn't he a bit of a coke hound, too, or just a boozer?  I honestly don't recall.

I guess my point being, cocaine and christ have never actually been mutually exclusive.  In fact, I can sorta see how they might dove-tail nicely.

1. No, I take enough away from them that I can afford to give when it's easier than not.

2. I remember, but I don't make a point to seek it out. Unless it's a charity or something.

3. Yes, because I'm not going to go out of my way. They have something I want. As to hospitals, I'd use the one with better care (assuming I had decent health insurance-- I live in the US), regardless of whether or not there's a "St. So-and-so" in the hospital's name.

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 2 hours ago. 18 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 5 hours ago. 60 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service