Some businesses readily demonstrate a preference for religiosity or have overtly religious management teams. One example is Chick-fil-A which cites religion as reasons for closing on Sunday and opposing gay marriage.

1. Are you, as a consumer, less likely to spend at a business that is overtly religious? Why or why not?

2. Do you keep track of which businesses bill themselves as religious, which have taken no public stance, and which are run by atheists? Do you know of any resources for keeping track?

3. Say you pulled into a gas station and read this message on the pump. Would you still buy gas there? Say you have a choice between a Catholic hospital and a secular hospital. Do you avoid the Catholic hospital because it is Catholic?

Views: 921

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

makes no difference, where are peaceful muslims when the fundamentalists bomb and kill people in the name of Islam?

I try my best to avoid blatantly religious businesses. Especially businesses that discriminate against non-believers or believers of other religions.

I made it a point to avoid them when I applied to work at Chick-fil-a about 5 years ago and was told that I couldn't work there because I wasn't a Christian.

I made it a point to avoid them when I applied to work at Chick-fil-a about 5 years ago and was told that I couldn't work there because I wasn't a Christian.

That's pretty outrageous. Did they actually ask about your religious beliefs when you applied?

Isn't that an EEO violation?

If I'd been aware of behavior like this on their part, I'd have ceased shopping there much sooner (not that I shopped there all that much anyhow).

I really don't see how they can get away with that. That's discrimination on the basis of creed, and is a federal offense.

I don't think I would go out of my way to avoid a religious business unless they've demonstrated some type of negativity such as discrimination towards a particular group of people. I wouldn't be a customer of the Chick-Fil-A because of their opposition of gay marriage nor would I buy gas from a station that has a crazy statement on the pump such as the one pictured above. However, if I needed to have surgery done and I saw the operating staff in a circle praying the way it's shown in the picture above I'd be scared out of my mind lol. 

However, if I needed to have surgery done and I saw the operating staff in a circle praying the way it's shown in the picture above I'd be scared out of my mind lol. 

My wife recently switched to a new doctor, only to find out (too late) that he is based out of a Catholic hospital and performs certain outpatient procedures there.

When she checked in, we saw a shrine on the wall at the nurse's station featuring a wooden house, a crucifix, Michelangelo's Pietà, and several palm fronds. My wife and I exchanged smirks. She checked in anyway.

After the usual medical and insurance questions, they asked what religious accommodations we wanted. (What exactly that means, I have no idea.) We said, "None." They persisted, saying they will accommodate people all faiths. At this my wife smiled and responded, "Meaning you won't accommodate people like us." They still had no clue! But they moved on and left that part of the form blank, which is what we wanted.

The procedure went fine. My wife is now looking for another doctor. 

Wow, that's an interesting story. I think I would be fine in that situation myself as long as I don't see them praying that the procedure goes well beforehand. That must've been annoying that they kept persisting after you tried to explain that you don't follow any religion. The religious accommodation thing sounds like they would have a priest who represents your faith come in to do a prayer for you if you were there for a procedure in which the percent chance of success was low. I'm guessing obviously, but it still sounds strange.

I'm glad the procedure went well for your wife!

You could put "Jedi Knight" on the form, and see if they will send Yoda to counsel you.  Jedi is a religion, if you wiki it, there's an explanation of how it came to be one.

You could put "Jedi Knight" on the form, and see if they will send Yoda to counsel you.  Jedi is a religion, if you wiki it, there's an explanation of how it came to be one.

I wonder how "Sith Lord" would go over.

Not many businesses in Canada would ever want to associate themselves with religion.  I will terminate a transaction midstream, however, if I get a 'bless you' out of a sales clerk - asking to talk to management and making a big deal about wanting a sane person to process my sale.  That's only happened a couple times in the past 10 years though.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service