Some businesses readily demonstrate a preference for religiosity or have overtly religious management teams. One example is Chick-fil-A which cites religion as reasons for closing on Sunday and opposing gay marriage.

1. Are you, as a consumer, less likely to spend at a business that is overtly religious? Why or why not?

2. Do you keep track of which businesses bill themselves as religious, which have taken no public stance, and which are run by atheists? Do you know of any resources for keeping track?

3. Say you pulled into a gas station and read this message on the pump. Would you still buy gas there? Say you have a choice between a Catholic hospital and a secular hospital. Do you avoid the Catholic hospital because it is Catholic?

Views: 935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do sometimes eat in the restaurant belonging to the local Mosque. Mostly because the food is excellent and I do my little bit for integration. There is the added bonus of telling Christian friends what they are missing out on and watching their reactions. I would also buy food form their shop. I buy a lot of spices and pulses from a Hindu only because he has a great selection and is helpful and enthusiastic even if he is very obviously a Hindu.

I seldom notice any religious overtone to any shopping transactions. In fact I can’t think of any at the moment.

I recently went into a revamped Christian bookshop and asked if they had a non-fiction section. Priceless!

I will have to remember to use that last one!

Mostly concur with this sentiment. 

The last line, that's just pure awesome! 

Cackles at the last line, fantastic!

I do try not to patronize religious-oriented businesses.  That being said, I was referred by my regular physician to a Catholic hospital for diagnostic tests.  I was a bit uncomfortable with it, but I didn't want to make trouble for my doctor, so I went.  I am not so doctrinaire as to reject, out of hand, ANY possibility of entering a religious business establishment, but I do avoid it.

My wife and I used to like Chic-fil-A, and dealt with their religious roots. But when they started being vocal, we stopped going. Hobby Lobby is similar. We shopped there a few times, but after I found out about their annual Easter proselytizing ad, and they started getting vocal too, we stopped going there as well. Worked for the better, because we found a local independent art store we'd rather give our business to anyway. I also make a mental list of outwardly religious companies so that I can rule them out if I ever need the services that they offer. Read Bible verses on Christmas commercials? I won't give you my money. Plaster a 'Jesus fish' on all your advertising? Sorry, that doesn't make you seem more trustworthy to me. I'll spend elsewhere.

Hobby lobby really cheesed me off when they pitched a fit over their workers getting birth control. I refuse to go there. 

Yeah, that would be a real good reason to avoid giving them my business.

Hobby lobby really cheesed me off when they pitched a fit over their workers getting birth control. I refuse to go there.

Prophetic.

1. Are you, as a consumer, less likely to spend at a business that is overtly religious? Why or why not?

Overtly YES. Covertly NO.  

2. Do you keep track of which businesses bill themselves as religious, which have taken no public stance, and which are run by atheists? Not really. Do you know of any resources for keeping track? Not really.

3. Say you pulled into a gas station and read this message on the pump. Would you still buy gas there? Yes, unless they were more expensive. Say you have a choice between a Catholic hospital and a secular hospital. Do you avoid the Catholic hospital because it is Catholic? No, I have had good experiences generally with Catholic/theist supported hospitals.

I guess it's just me, but I go where I can get what I need for the best price. I don't care about religious or political beliefs unless they are discriminatory in some fashion or another. I wouldn't want the operating staff in a prayer circle, but at the same time if a Christian hospital had the reputation for performing a certain procedure, or handling a certain ailment better than another hospital, I would go there.

Our hospitals and many general practitioners in Northern Kentucky have been taken over by St. Elisabeth. So, birth control can be difficult to obtain. After jumping though one too many hoops to secure a prescription for the pill, I have decided to seek alternative health care providers. 

It creeps me out now that I think about it, that St. Elisabeth's hospitals have information about my religion/atheism. They ask about it when you register at the hospital. At the time, I was proud to be honest...but I hope that information does not affect the type of treatment one receives. Why do they even need to know such private information? 

I also avoid chick fillet (sp?) for obvious reasons; it's quite burdensome when I'm having a craving. :-)

I recently decided not to go with a local bank because they had a display in partnership with a catholic school to remind everyone of the "real" reason for the season. I thought that was needlessly annoying.

RSS

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 7 minutes ago. 45 Replies

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Belle Rose 59 minutes ago. 8 Replies

Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Started by Karlee in Welcome to Think Atheist. Last reply by Simon Paynton 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 8 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 2 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service