We SAY we value our privacy, and yet we give it up all over the place. I was recently in the market for a guitar amp, and now, two weeks after I bought it, I find ads for guitar amps and guitar-related product in the sidebar all over the place in sites totally unrelated to each other and having nothing much at all to do with music. 

If you really valued privacy, you wouldn't be on Facebook because they seem to be working non-stop to find out things about you and to help their advertisers find out about you. They introduce security updates and other changes with privacy implications so regularly that they've virtually trained us not to look them over. 

Outdoors, while it's not quite as bad as it is in the UK, we are under surveillance a good deal of the time, and one regularly hears on the evening news about crimes solved via some surveillance camera or other. We should be thinking, "If the camera saw them, has it ever seen ME?" but we don't.

While, under the law, there's no privacy when you're in public, a lot of us resent the idea that some person can see us but we can't see them, and that often are activities aren't just being observed but are being recorded.

Since we don't seem to WANT privacy anymore, do we really need it?

Tags: UK, privacy

Views: 513

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Everything on the internet now is permanent. Governments don't last. Judgment is forever. What you wrote on a webpage might get you executed in 15 years. You have know real way of knowing. Sound ludicrous? I doubt the Polish Jews in 1933 would have believed anyone who told them what would be happening in ten years. 

The fact is you absolutely cannot, cannot, cannot trust the government. America is not a permanent fixture. Therefore privacy is not only essential, it is one of the most precious resources that will exist in the future. The government enjoys it. You don't. 

Having zero privacy means being completely invaded by external forces. No defense. No self. Just a mindless drone-cog in the machine. No individuality, susceptible to every type of manipulation.

Consider quote by H.P. Lovecraft 

“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.”

The same principle holds true for the government. If it is able to correlate all of its contents (total invasion of all privacy), there will be zero mercy. 

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service