In a sense, I know that we should respect everybody, but do we really just need to keep quiet when crazy religious people preach and yell and affect law? I personally don't think so. Maybe I am too closed minded, but I think the more vocal the atheist community becomes and LESS vocal the religious community can be the world would be better off...Faith is not based in fact, as everybody knows. So why not publicly denounce all faiths as ignorant and detrimental. 

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Tags: back, fight

Views: 1423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Me: Medical science shows fetal consciousness begins sometime after 24 weeks.
Crackpot: That's slavery!!! You're enslaving women!!!
Me: We really should roll back these arbitrary state limitations on abortions.
Crackpot: A self-righteous prick will kill your family!!!
Me: It would be better to base abortion-related legislation on reality, science, and reason.
Crackpot: See what happens when you ban all abortions!!!

Priceless, Keith. Absolutely priceless. Have a great night. ;)

@G - ya, so you accuse me of running away from an "honest debate" while puking insults like "So you go all shrill..." and resort to name calling, and you call ME the irrational one?  You can't even associate  quotes properly.  Too funny.  Xian trolls like you are so amusing. LOL 

Sadly, in my experience, it does not seem a common occurance.

if someone is not following the teachings of their religious, well I guess they are not very religious (the word religious implies observance as in "i work-out religiously). I agree these people are sometimes merely liberal enablers of the true people of faith and as such they may respect atheists. For the faithful bible is still the bible.

RE: "For the faithful bible is still the bible." - Personally, I would rephrase that Robert.

I would say that for the faithful, who prefer not to investigate the Bible, and learn about all of the biblical scholars who have evidence that Moses did not write any of the books labeled, "According To Moses," who chose not to learn about all of the other forgeries, pseudepigraphical writings, and insertions by anonymous authors into authentic texts, not to mention the first Council of Nicaea, in which it was arbitrarily decided which books would be included in the New Testament, and which would not (of which, many of the latter were destroyed), then, yes, the Bible is still the Bible.

And an ostrich is still an ostrich --

I agree. The "word of god" is not the "word of god" at all.
I believe it is a human book with no supernatural providence that is "sold" as being infallible and must be taken on faith. And of course, the suspension of the natural laws of physics and biology in front of bewildered crowds of desert tribes are used to somehow prove that. The pope is also claimed to infallible, and thus for faithful catholics a drastic change to a more liberal stance would be hard to swallow. All other liberal sects are less faithful. So no, I don't see droves of the religious suddenly challenging biblical authorship. If atheists were respected by the religious we would not have to fear discrimination, especially in the south where I live.

I owe you an apology, Robert - despite the cool allosaur avatar, I took your post to mean you were a theist, and it was my natural instinct to go into attack mode. Desculpame! (Forgive me!)

I owe you an apology, Robert - despite the cool allosaur avatar, I took your post to mean you were a theist, and it was my natural instinct to go into attack mode. Desculpame! (Forgive me!)

No need archaeopteryx, I always enjoy your posts and lately I have been a bit more confrontational with theists myself.

sorry..i cant edit for some reason...time to reboot !

Try "refresh" first, and if that doesn't work, copy (just in case) and reboot, which should empty your browser cache - or, you could get a Mac!

"or, you could get a Mac!"

Or keep your PC hardware and use Ubuntu instead. Free support, free upgrades for life, ironclad security, and 36,875 applications free of charge.

Come over to the dark side. We have cookies.

RSS

Forum

Dr. Oz finally getting his due

Started by Unseen in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

Books to read in 2015

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 8 hours ago. 8 Replies

Skepticon (Or Other Atheist Type of Events)

Started by Peter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 1 Reply

Events

Blog Posts

It's all Greek to me

Posted by Simon Mathews on April 15, 2015 at 4:14am 15 Comments

Free at last

Posted by Belle Rose on April 15, 2015 at 1:00am 2 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service