When i read the newspaper (some people still read those) and i read an article about politicians, new policies or debates between different parties i never worry about their religion. Mostly because they generally don't have one or those who do have some sort of "connection" with god tend to believe in evolution. However it's worrying when i hear of politicians who don't believe in evolution or think that gays are immoral. It worrys me when they don't understand other religions or atheism. And it can be uncomfortable for me to think that they are in high places of power. Do you think that politicians shouldn't be theist? Will it only damage the country if they believe in a god? Can anything be done, at all?

Tags: politicians, theist, worry

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess it is up to the general public to stop someone with extreme ideas getting elected, but i'm not sure what can be done about the people with "extreme" logic who are already in the government. And they can push people with similar ideas to get elected and stop peole with more liberal thinking. Thats what i find most worrying and i'm not sure what can be done about that, if anything. 

The general public, the majority, aren't like us and only want people in office, making the rules, whom believe in generally the same they do. The landscape is now set for a new level of trained discrimination against all others who don't accept the same principles and rules as they, because in this world that apparently is coming apart at the seams (which is what they perceive) the only way to "fix it" is to put into power the ones who will carry the voice of their belief to the top, mandating their principles upon the masses (aka Tea Party). That may sound a little redundant, but it's my eagle eye view of all of it.

Yes, theists in power make me nervous because they can and do use that power to try and force others to their way of thinking. This is why I hope the OUT Campaign really gets going and people who are atheists become more and more comfortable being in the open so that one day we can get atheists in our government who can counterbalance those theists.
i get the impression that atheists in America get a bit of bad press from the government and news broadcastors.
you dont know the half of it.
Thats an understatement.
It depends what kind of theist are they and if they are using the political platform to further their own religious goals/agenda. I'd say in the current US political environment I am rather worried about the number of theists with extreme or completely insane beliefs that are working their way into the government. I don't think a young earth creationist or a person who's only reasons to oppose same sex marriage is based of the Bible is qualified to represent and make decisions that will affect a diverse population.

If they don't worry you, they should.

Doone is right. Our media is failing us in this avenue.

Considering we are the minority in the states, it's no surprise that we haven't really had any outstanding atheist leaders. other then our founding fathers, who understood the importance of the separation of church and state, it seems that our government has been doing everything they can to accommodate Christianity over anything else. the majority will elect people who are JUST LIKE THEM.

George Bush was a great example, Cass. 

“George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd.” - Sam Harris

In Canada most politicians are religious but we are very lucky it is considered, at least generally, unacceptable for politicians to let their religion openly influence their actions. Religion is a very private matter here, for the most part.
Yes it makes me nervous. In the U.S. we are seen as 'those peple who are trying to destroy the foundation of our country"

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service