The idea that there is a perfect match out there for everyone seems to be nonsense to me. Where is the evidence for this? And even if it were true that doesn't necessarily mean you will find that person. Maybe they are on the other side of the world, maybe they haven't been born yet or maybe they are dead - who knows. In the end we can settle for and love a person, but it's often far from a perfect soulmate.

And another thing -- when somone says "you will definitely meet someone eventually"  or "there is someone out there for everyone." How do they know this? Are they psychic? The bottom line is this: maybe you won't meet your match - ever! This is a very real possibility, it may seem depressing but it is true, and I'd take a cold reality over a comforting delusion anyday.

Your thoughts?

Tags: Soulmate

Views: 2024

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If she had all of those qualities, why would she need you?

Would you supply her with a magnifying glass?

Ouch!

So much for the "My kind of girl!" comment from earlier in the week--

Why? To read the fine print in my prenup?

My dear Unseen, there is absolutely nothing that a female  would want from you, as far as material things are concerned, at least, so no need for a pre-nup. So, it would be best if they bought their own magnifying glass, just in case :) It is nice to be prepared, don't you think.

Preparation is great. True, my sense of humor would be the main attraction, not my meager estate.

Ha,Ha,Ha - absolutely.

Allow me to translate, for the Spanish speakers in our audience: "Ja, Ja, Ja - absolutemente."

If your sense of humor is your main attraction, that doesn't say a lot about the rest. Forget the magnifying glass - we're talking microscope here --

The really smart men know it is all about the sense of humour, even if one does need a magnifying glass, and if the sense of humour doesn't work - flick.

RE: "But there can be mindmates or twin brains." - A mindmate I could understand, a twin brain, I could not, as it would be like living with a clone of myself, a second body in my house, but only the one mind, no variety, no diversity, knowing what the other wishes to say before she says it, because it's exactly what I would say myself under the same circumstances. Why would I ever ask her a question, when I already know what the answer will be? I can certainly see where such a situation would reinforce my belief in myself, as no one who thinks exactly as I do, would ever disagree with me.

In a previous relationship, with a woman of a similar, but different mindset, I learned to try foods I would never have previously considered eating, enjoyed cultural and recreational experiences, as did she, that neither of us would have known, had we thought exactly alike.

A wise man once said, "The beauty of life lies in its infinite diversity." Much of the beauty of snowflakes lies in the fact that no two are exactly alike. I cannot imagine a life devoid of pleasant surprises.

"knowing what the other wishes to say before she says it, because it's exactly what I would say myself under the same circumstances."   

This is my dream, to experience the joy of consent, the bliss of agreement.   I am so sick and tired of a world of religious people, woo-woo believers, breeders, capitalists and so on.   I am tired of the mental ditch between them and me.   I want to find someone, who is on the same side of all the ditches.   

To find someone, who perceives my brain as a near clone of his would mean happiness for me.   As there cannot be a full clone, any near clone at my age of 63 would still mean many differences to cope with.   

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 3 hours ago. 5 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by Glen L 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Paynton 4 hours ago. 12 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 9 hours ago. 29 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 11 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service