The idea that there is a perfect match out there for everyone seems to be nonsense to me. Where is the evidence for this? And even if it were true that doesn't necessarily mean you will find that person. Maybe they are on the other side of the world, maybe they haven't been born yet or maybe they are dead - who knows. In the end we can settle for and love a person, but it's often far from a perfect soulmate.

And another thing -- when somone says "you will definitely meet someone eventually"  or "there is someone out there for everyone." How do they know this? Are they psychic? The bottom line is this: maybe you won't meet your match - ever! This is a very real possibility, it may seem depressing but it is true, and I'd take a cold reality over a comforting delusion anyday.

Your thoughts?

Tags: Soulmate

Views: 2035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By "soul" I mean my internal self, and my life: the bed I have made for myself and which I lie in.  I'm not talking about a self which lives on after we die (although i believe in this too). 

I like this idea of "pollution".  I see it as a nice image and a place-holder waiting to have other things connected into it. 

Pollution = practical consequences. 

1. I don't care what anyone says, if you have done wrong then somewhere in your organism you don't forget it and it trips you up every day. 
  2. Your reputation suffers.
  3. You learn wisdom when you undertake to remove it. 

So, for you, your "soul" is what is more commonly called your "conscious mind" combined with your memories.

I think it's good that it remains a vague term. I'm not talking about a precise entity. Rather, a collection of related things. My internal history and the history of what I have made.

It's interesting that we say that bad behaviour "stinks".

Somewhere down this thread I was accused of being a sort of a monster ridiculing cripples.   As this was out of the scope of this topic, I have started a new thread:   

http://www.thinkatheist.com/forum/topics/ridiculing-religion-and-ot...

Actually, Maruli, you boasted that you and an associate ridiculed those who came to Lourdes in the hope of being healed of infirmities, no one accused you of that. As for the monster part, if it walks like a duck --

...and has a tail like a beaver, it must be a platypus.

Maruli, we like you, but to be so brutally uncaring is not an attractive quality. If you don't care about people, people aren't going to care about you.

You can't generalize her as being uncaring only because of a handful of people she was talking about.

You're probably right.  I actually find her rather endearing.  But [to talk about Maruli behind her back] I think she's heavily damaged and maybe doesn't have an easy time with people. 

RE: "I think she's heavily damaged and maybe doesn't have an easy time with people." - which is basically what I said, and was accused of "kitchen psychology" - welcome to the kitchen, Simon!

You could say the kitchen is where the heat is. 

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service