The idea that there is a perfect match out there for everyone seems to be nonsense to me. Where is the evidence for this? And even if it were true that doesn't necessarily mean you will find that person. Maybe they are on the other side of the world, maybe they haven't been born yet or maybe they are dead - who knows. In the end we can settle for and love a person, but it's often far from a perfect soulmate.

And another thing -- when somone says "you will definitely meet someone eventually"  or "there is someone out there for everyone." How do they know this? Are they psychic? The bottom line is this: maybe you won't meet your match - ever! This is a very real possibility, it may seem depressing but it is true, and I'd take a cold reality over a comforting delusion anyday.

Your thoughts?

Tags: Soulmate

Views: 2040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agreed, I always press "within 5  miles of present location" (sad but true)

I learned a phrase in college from a sociologist friend which the word "propinquity" brought to mind: "Propinquity breeds special relationships."

Yes, and we've been breeding them for thousands of years, to suit our desires! I don't mean to make that sound selfish, because it all started out with some animals wanting to be around us, first. And it's obvious (to me) that most of them actually like and love us now, and are happy creatures.

Were we talking about pets? I'm confused.

Whoops, no, it was me. Somehow I mixed up branches or replies. I may delete this branch and put the reply where it should fit better.

RE: "I'm confused."

Actually, I can see that as your epitaph --

I lack a soul, therefore I lack a soulmate

I second that notion!!

The succinctness of your statement is only matched by it's accuracy. :)

I don't know about "soulmates", but I think there is a perfect person for everyone. Now I'm certainly not a psychic, but I do know that a great relationship can be built with anyone if you're willing to work at it. One of my school teachers used to tell me to just find someone that doesn't drive you crazy, find someone that you can stand to be around all the time, and happiness will find you.

Perfection is an idea notion, like infinity.  You can have an excellent relationship with someone but perfection cannot be reached. 

Right....because that was the point of my comment. This is why I don't get on here any more, TA's filled with ignorant young atheists looking to pick fights over nothing. Thanks for proving the stereotype. 

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service