The idea that there is a perfect match out there for everyone seems to be nonsense to me. Where is the evidence for this? And even if it were true that doesn't necessarily mean you will find that person. Maybe they are on the other side of the world, maybe they haven't been born yet or maybe they are dead - who knows. In the end we can settle for and love a person, but it's often far from a perfect soulmate.

And another thing -- when somone says "you will definitely meet someone eventually"  or "there is someone out there for everyone." How do they know this? Are they psychic? The bottom line is this: maybe you won't meet your match - ever! This is a very real possibility, it may seem depressing but it is true, and I'd take a cold reality over a comforting delusion anyday.

Your thoughts?

Tags: Soulmate

Views: 2035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nina & Judith -
x x x
Answer to the question - yes, I have several, I would say four: friends and relatives.
I knew someone once who seemed to think the same as me about everything, and it was really boring.

The most boring for me is to be annoyed again and again with the same irrational nonsense of christian and woo-woo beliefs.    Once I have discarded something as worthless nonsense not worth bothering about, I do not ever want to hear it again.   There is no god for me.  Period.  To hear people's claims about a god is so boring.    But to visit a religious spectacle like Lourdes with a fellow atheist and to share the hilarious laughter is joy.   What a drag to visit Lourdes with a believer and censor myself to avoid hurting feelings.  

RE: "to visit a religious spectacle like Lourdes with a fellow atheist and to share the hilarious laughter is joy."

I can't imagine laughing at ignorant people with debilitating diseases who labor under the false hope that they may expect a miraculous restoration to health - to me, that would be sadistic, adding insult to injury.

I omitted to explicitly state, that this of course includes the discretion of not laughing in the presence of any witnesses, whose feelings would get hurt.  

Yes, I'm afraid you did.

Still, you and I were born with relatively superior intellects (I've read enough of your website to easily discern that), and I have reason to believe that those intellects have allowed us to process information in such a way as to conclude that there is no god, nor any miracles, but there are those who are not as fortunate as we, who do not possess such intellects, through no fault of their own, and I would no more laugh at their beliefs, than I would laugh at a Down's Syndrome victim or a hydrocephalic.

There is a huge difference between laughing at the generic prototype of someone being weird and a reason to be mocked, and unfortunate individuals.

Standing back in a corner at Lourdes and laugh at a spectacle of a mass of people behaving preposterously, of whom I knew nobody, is very different from feeling compassion for any person, whom I know personally as sadly afflicted with an irrational belief.

Being friendly and considerate to someone with the Down Syndrome does not stop me from laughing about funny lunatic jokes.

RE: "of whom I knew nobody" - I suppose that anonymity does make a difference - I suspect that that was the rationale used at Auschwitz.

I suggest that you visit Auschwitz and then reconsider your irrational comparison.  A hidden, discreet and rationally justified mockery doing no harm to nobody cannot be compared with the atrocities and extermination of humans, whose ancestors had lived 2000 years ago in Palastine.  

archeopteryx are you maybe of catholic background because your desire to inflict pain on others for words or thoughts sure makes you sound like it.

RE: "A hidden, discreet and rationally justified mockery doing no harm to nobody"

You and I have already discussed on your own website, if memory serves me, that depersonalization is necessary - in the case of our discussion, in wartime, but I would extend that to any group with whom one has significant dissension. To mock, one must first depersonalize.

Granted, I used Auschwitz as an extreme example, but the depersonalization process is the same.

As for doing harm to no one, I maintain that mocking others does harm to you - it demeans you and detracts from your humanity.

If we mock theists, particularly those afflicted with an ailment and so ignorantly superstitious as to pin their hopes on the water of a fountain to cure them, we are no better than the theists who mock us, and I prefer to believe that I am.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service