Perhaps you know of someone who is quietly religious and that person's religion seems to motivate and maintain him/her. And quite often these persons are genuinely good persons, as best as you can tell.

When I meet these persons, I really hesitate to challenge their faith. Their faith seems to be working for them. I feel that they are living with a mistaken belief, but again I hesitate to try to correct them.

I am all for the dissemination of information that raises skepticism about the various religious faiths, but on a person to person level, when I meet someone who is doing well by their faith, perhaps it is just out of politeness or perhaps out of a concern that I don't want to take responsibility for their religious breakdown - I usually won't challenge their beliefs.

I'm sure you know lots of these people. They're not the evangelizing-in-your-face types, but the quiet religious folks who seem genuinely good and who find much solace in their faith.

Again, I think these religious folks are living their lives with a mistaken central belief, and I feel sort of sad for them for that reason, but I usually won't try to correct them. I just hope that eventually they examine their faith and begin to doubt it and consider other possibilities.

Is this something that happens to you? Do you find yourself 'holding back' your atheism?

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll second that.

There is a dear woman that I have relationship with. Clearly a good soul, but has very little experience with my 'thought skills'.

For breakfast and dinner, we say 'grace', but for we this seems rather pretentious, but helpful for her. I suppress my humor during 'grace', and add to her prayers where possible.

I find it hard to cross the gulf between our different 'metaphysical commitments', but I think, for the sake of peace, we need to learn.   

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service