I was having a chat with a christian friend the other week. I tweet a lot about non-religious/anti-religious/anti-god topics, and he was confused why I tweeted: 

" I wonder when it's the right time to drop the bomb on someone I've just met that I'm Atheist." 

He didn't understand. He thought I was being "arrogant" or making a big deal about not believing in... anything (haha).

The reality of that tweet was that I had met a new co-worker whom discussed his faith with me every single day. I was always polite and listened; never insulting. I hadn't even told him I thought everything he was saying was bulls**t. 

(I still haven't! But he quit, so it doesn't matter)

Anyways, I finally told my friend that I thought being an atheist these days was almost equivalent to being a homosexual inside the Westboro Baptist Church. (Ok, ok... exaggeration...)

I revealed that I thought atheists were discriminated against. That people looked at you differently. Didn't invite you to events where their religious friends would be. Your beliefs were not the popular opinion! (At least this is MY experience).

Many don't talk to me about their lives anymore because god is so intertwined in their lives that they don't know how to associate with me. The fact that most of my conversations with this co-worker were his stories of spirituality and "god's plan," I was worried that I would make my work environment awkward.

That's my worry. My parents/siblings know I'm atheist, but my grandparents do not. My grandma is constantly "praying" for me and I have too much shame for her to tell her I don't believe in her fairy tales. 

Do any of you have fears of telling people you are atheist? I simply revert to "non-religious" because it sounds "less offensive." But should I care about people being offended? I'm already such a introvert... this fact about me feels like it closes more doors.

It's almost impossible to find atheists to be friends in person! It's not like I can just meet them at Church! 

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a YouTube atheist by the name of Lemon Lee that has had her family disown her due to her atheism. She was fed up with their intolerance and decided to move to South Korea where she'd be far away from any of her family members. 

Was all that necessary? I don't think so. You know, I don't know how much you study religion, but the terms you use against it as calling it a "fairy tale" just reveals that perhaps you interpret religion a bit too literally. I don't know if you watch The Atheist Experience, but there was an interesting episode a few weeks back that suggests religion isn't as "fairy tale" as you might think. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0UT_f-Lng#t=22m07s

I think the video is nice and all, but when I say "fairy tale" I literally mean, that "god" is discussed in the same way a child would talk about "santa." 

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service