I for one believe that their is a lot of discrimination towards atheist. I, coming from a very "christian" school, face the discrimination in silence. I'm curious though. How do you feel about this? Do you think that their is discrimination? Even in schools? Thank you for your answers and have a happy logical day guys. :)

Tags: Discrimination, Question

Views: 941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand your stance totally. I'm sure it could be hard and frustrating. Just be strong then and get through school to the best of your ability. I'm sure you're a top student because you already have the ability to rationalise. Tells me that you pay attention to facts, and probably enjoy fiction as entertainment. I'm glad I made some sort of sense.

I'm with you in a lot of ways William.  I didn't have it near as bad, too, on account of the US is much worse than the island you and I grew up on (I was south and east of you).

Totally agree, smart, confident, happy, and some moxie makes an atheist a recipe to be a nightmare to most Christians out there. 

Only reason I didn't suggest being out and loud about it, is can't size up her situation, and thus I don't know if there is any potential for that turning into violence if were to choose that path, and it might.  And, violence, when you're badly outnumbered is a really, really, bad plan.  If that's a possibility, than quietly in the closet is probably the best plan, as unfortunate as that is to admit.

But you're right, we had it likely much easier.

Agreed.

I want to ask your permission to send you private messages about our homelands. If you don't mind. I knew of no atheists growing up. I don't want to say it was hard but it wasn't easy. I'm curious about your home history indeed.

I understand if you decline. No problem.

Sorry for the really slow response.  Didn't see this comment and/or wasn't about every day.

Of course, feel free. 

Of course, not being a TA maven, I've not entirely mastered the interface yet.  So, that being said, I don't think I even know how to check IMs or even see if I have any yet.  I'll look into it, but if my reply is slowish, it may be that I'm either slowish in the brain, or lazy in my research...  Or perhaps I'm a total jerk and am ignoring ya, but I think 1 or 2 more likely.

I'm very lucky that I can't really associate with your problem. I think it is a geographical hazard of being situated in Tennessee (arguably even the US). In the UK, in my experience, religious people are generally frowned upon and secretly mocked, although discretion is usually expected. This is especially the case among the younger generation (mine), where religion is often treated as some kind of joke: most people put up something absurd under their religious views on Facebook (hockey, pantomime, chocolate etc.), or nothing at all. 

Your resistance to their persecution is commendable. It is in places of fanaticism, like much of the US, where the battle has to be fought in earnest. In the UK and Europe, while there are many nominal Christians, the war for secularisation has effectively been won (in my experience). A good place to relocate if it ever becomes too much. 

I think that there is probably MORE discrimination in school. School children are horrible, no offense. My best advice is to tough it through it and try to surround yourself with like minded people. You might be able to find people your own age close to where you live who knows? Good luck though and best wishes.

A lot of people here say that you should always voice your opinion at every opportunity, I agree with the idea behind this thought, but we've all been in school and we all know how cruel children can be. They are telling you to be a martyr without considering the consequences. The fact is that while you might be helping the atheist community by speaking your mind, if you do you will make your situation at school drastically worse. Dont let yourself be walked on EVER, but it might not be wise to argue the subject when you dont have to.

I must say I'm a VERY very lucky person to have found so many like minded people who are in almost the same situation as I am. I must say the small part of me speaking out has caused me to find them. 

I find that I remind myself not to allow them to walk over my friends and I. Lucky they and myself don't have to speak out that often. 

Thank you very much for your comment and I too wish you the best of luck :)

Gosh!  Is that ME in that picture?

Next time someone asks "what religion are you?" I'm just gonna say "All of them. I believe in everything. That way I have to get to go to heaven."

you couldn't PAY me to go back to school as a non-believer. in my experience, particularly in the Bible-Belt South, you can't win. 

I had a friend in middle school who'd recently moved to the area, and without any shame would tell people she was agnostic when they asked her which Protestant church she went to. and I think it was because she didn't act ashamed (and good for her), but ALL of the girls tore into her. you couldn't go on break after lunch without at bare minimum a dozen girls following us around or yelling in her face calling her a cow, or a monkey, or calling her a piece of shit telling her she was going to hell (I was a Mormon at the time, so they didn't really know what to think of me). none of the teachers did anything about it either, because I think they all fundamentally agreed with the bullies. only when her mother complained at school did a counselor half-heartedly sit the five main offenders down with the two of us and say something to the effect of "maybe we could all be a little nicer". didn't do much, needless to say. high school wasn't much of an improvement.

COLLEGE though, is a different story. I think it's partially because (some) people grow out of that phase when they become adults, and partially from me just not giving a fuck. I don't advertise my lack of religiosity, but I don't hide it either. so when I socialize with people, religion doesn't tend to come up, and they decide whether they like me or not without that knowledge.

during an ethics discussion one day though, the teacher asked where humans get their ethics from. religion was brought up, and to play devil's advocate I asked "what about Atheists?". and this person (who I didn't think much of from the get-go in the first place) laughed and said "nowhere", which a few people chuckled at. I let it go then - but when we all went on break I mentioned in passing how I didn't realize that some people could think so little of me, not being Christian or believing in any god for that matter. THAT caused an interesting reaction. some people's questions allowed me go on to say that I try just as hard as anyone else to be a good person, and that if they couldn't tell I was an Atheist before, then it shouldn't matter anyway. that was seven months ago, and it's never been a problem since. and honestly?, most teachers don't care, and I've realized may even secretly agree with you at the college level, so that aspect hasn't ever been a problem for me.

so I guess the only thing I can say is.... it gets better? lol seriously though, once people are off at public college outside of their comfort zones, you'd be surprised how little peers start caring about which church you do (or don't) go to. good luck!

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service