I for one believe that their is a lot of discrimination towards atheist. I, coming from a very "christian" school, face the discrimination in silence. I'm curious though. How do you feel about this? Do you think that their is discrimination? Even in schools? Thank you for your answers and have a happy logical day guys. :)

Tags: Discrimination, Question

Views: 903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two things, I guess it depends which college you attend, I mean University of Co at Boulder or UC Berkley those schools are known for their bohemian attitudes and known to be objective open minded schools, but University of Nebraska or something, maybe not so much.

Secondly we have to remind ourselves that as adults we have grown (hopefully) into tolerance; but for children it is more accepted to be gay now a days then it is to be non-Christian.  In my day at least, being gay was considered worse. 

I'm thankful I didn't convert during middle school. . .Simply wouldn't have been a good time. I must say that girl was very brave. Braver than I for sure lol I'm glad to hear it gets better in college haha Thank you for your comment :)

I think a lot of Christians become defensive towards atheist because they have their own doubt deep down. Their own faith is so shaky that any challenge to their beliefs makes them anxious and very defensive. For the most part they only feel secure in their faith if they have their like minded friends to back them up.

I think Christians as a whole are on the defensive because they know they are starting to loose the argument, I think the internet is helping atheist win the argument. Facts trump fantasies any day and I think deep down a lot of them know it. But what Strega posted from Simon Amstell is very aprapos. The more you argue with a Christian the more they will fight back "Against the Devil".

I tend to keep my atheism to myself as long as Christians that I meet keep their religion to themselves. But I'm always up for a good argument if they want to bring it.

I checked your profile before I responded, I needed to know about how old you are.  I have a daughter that just turned 14.  She is not an atheist...yet...she is however a logical thinker, but at the same time a very creative thinker.  At this point if I had to characterize her or label her, (which I really should not do sense she can not defend what I say with a response)  I would (going ahead anyway) say that she is what I would call an agnostic, episcopagan.  (lol) 

To address your question, yes there absolutely is a lot of discrimination in school about religion, or lack thereof.  Having said that it is up to you to decide what you tell others and to whom you tell these things.  If you truly feel you can be honest with people about your values then by all means be honest, but I would really be careful who you choose to say certain things too, ANY certain things because children in Jr high and High school are not known for their trustworthiness. 

When I was in your age group I told a few people who I thought I could trust about something very private that I did, and less then a day later the entire school knew about it and this happened when I was 14 and followed me all the way through graduation. 

If there really is no reason to reveal anything that may harm you emotionally, especially  in this age of Facebook, maybe it is better left unsaid.  I know it's hard to keep inside what you really think. but isn't it harder to be chastised and ridiculed.  You'll find your place as an adult, I can almost guarantee it. 

I am not telling you to lie, just be careful, and maybe just keep quiet. 

I tend to keep to myself unless I hear others saying that they believe as I do. Thank you very much so for your comment :) Best wishes to you and your daughter.

I have some friends that go to church...their kids enjoy youth group and we both have our own ideas. But we are still friends.To me religion is like a penis..its all very well and good to have one but don't wave it around in public and don't force it down my children's throats.That sort of says it all for me. One of the best ways to get me pissed off at you is to tell me I am a godless heathen .Sorry boys and girls gave up on the idea of god a long time ago when i started thinking for myself.If i am not going to be hired into your company or accepted into your social group because I don't want to worship a cosmic Jewish zombie...I will try and accept that. If you want to have a god..go for it..Just don't expect me to follow too.

One of the best ways to get me pissed off at you is to tell me I am a godless heathen

"You call me "Godless Heathen" like it's a bad thing."  Sounds like a good T-shirt, and I did see one like it once (it said "freak" instead of "godless heathen" though).

Suffice it to say that if I ever call you a godless heathen I am glad about it.

@Sarah Jane Hall@ Delaney - now that is a Mum talking. If saying you are an Atheist is going to cause trouble at school, just don't say anything. You know who you are, that is all that matters. Then come to this site, and have a purge about the knucklegrazing morons at school :) Facing discrimination in silence, I think, is better than active, vicious theists who can make your life unpleasant. It won't be too long before you are out of there, so study hard :)

I came from a pretty rural area, and it goes without saying that Christianity was the Religion of choice for most people in my area. It came in different flavors. There were maybe three or four Catholics, a handful of Methodists, some Pentecostals, and a SHIT ton of Baptists. The baptists were easily the worst, and I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's just the sect itself, I dunno. Yes, there IS definitely discrimination against Atheists...in High School. EVERYONE in High School gets discriminated against in one form or another. In the work place, it's almost non-existent north of the Mason-Dixie Line. Employers know that if they reject a potential employee, or fire one, based purely on their religious beliefs (or lack there-of), they can become the source of a very expensive and very serious legal battle, one that can ruin their reputation and cost them customers. It doesn't stop them from looking for legitimate reasons to fire you, but it does keep them from making your life hell simply because of your atheism.

High School is a social cesspool, and everyone knows it. Unless you're living in the deep south, your lack of a religion isn't going to cause you much trouble outside of school. Personal experience may vary, but I've found this to be largely true.

Grady,  you know I don't live in the south, and I have never really even been to the south except for very short bits of time...one time we drove through the Texas Oklahoma pan handle... but according to all I have heard and seen in the media, and on various TV shows and having a bf who is from TX they are still a lot of backwards thinking, bible toating, gun rack owning, pick up truck driving, skin head NATZI types.  Seriously I still can not believe this one, but he told me his cousins accused him all the time of being gay for things like liking to clean and cook, and for liking to watch wrestling....WRESTLING REALLY!  How is that a stereotype of someone being gay????? The point is I am agreeing with you about the southern half of the US still being so far off base from what we mostly  think here in the northern states.   I'm sure we have our share of gay bashing racist idiots here as well, but I really truly and honestly don't think anywhere near as much. 

Maybe we as atheists should just all make a pact to stay living outside the red states, or maybe we should all move into the red states and take over, and teach those people true tolerance and values that make sense. 

Here's my recent adventure in the Texas panhandle....

http://letreasonreign.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/you-know-its-the-bib...

RSS

Blog Posts

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Fruit of the Womb

Posted by Carol Foley on October 16, 2014 at 5:58pm 12 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service