Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2902

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, given the distance between us, you may need to check back with your psychiatrist to discuss your hallucinations.

Apparently the distanced is overcome by the strength, as am I --

I'll proudly wear that label Blaine - BTW, I'm also a Luthoran --

If you can't fight it, own it.

I suspect the real reason Socrates decided not to write anything is to avoid grammar and spelling checkers with too much time in their hands.  I hope my grammar and spelling is correct here.

Socrates: Yes it seems to be so.

Me: Thank you!  Wait a minute!  Are you really Socrates?  The great philosopher?!!?

Socrates: Yes.

Me: Wow!

Aristotle: Your grammar and spelling are correct but your inference is not.

Me: What!?

Hugh Hefner: Who cares!   Come have a drink with me at the mansion and have a good time with the ladies!

If your grammar and spelling were dumbass I probably wouldn't have read very far.

BTW, while it's pretty clear there was a historical Socrates, the words of Socrates we read were put into his mouth by Plato, who may have had an agenda. Well, clearly had an agenda.

@юри фидов - I dunno, the name's a little iffy - how do we know it's spelled right?

You know, that's just what I was gonna say, but nobody ever 'splained it to me that way before --

Posting something on the internet doesn't make you a writer. If it did, you'd be held to more standards than grammatical. For example, Hemingway or Nietzsche might say you're an idiot if you have to shove giant blocks of text into readers' faces to get your idea across. Excellent grammar, like a lot of traditional academia, is like synchronized swimming. It's beautiful, and there are a lot of people who appreciate it, but it can be a bit tedious when you just want to get from one point to another.

First I'd just like to tell you to go fuck yourself. I am not afraid to admit I have my grammatical errors and typos. If not for my spell check I would probably have many more spelling errors. For myself language is a never ending study. With the help of books, magazines, and reputable news websites that I read I think my writing is far better than it was when I was in high school. Just now while reading a comment I learned the word "schadenfreude". I understood its meaning by the context it was used in but it tickled my brain and I had to look it up to learn its proper definition. Unless I rush myself I always try to write in the best manner that I know how. I'm not as formally educated as a college graduate and english was not my first language but I work on it often. I know that there are many people like myself who are just not educated enough to write properly but it's the laziness that bugs me. The complete lack of effort especially by some younger people to write and even speak proper english.

I can't speak for anyone else, Danny, but as far as I'm concerned, you're doing just fine - except possibly for the "go fuck yourself" part, it's kinda hard to find anyone interested in listening to the rest of what you have to say, when you open with that --

I guess that's where we Proto-Birds are different from you Homos - a simple, "Hi there!" gets mine. "¡Chingale!" no es necessario a decir.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Torture Works

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Davis Goodman 8 minutes ago. 29 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service