Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

do you consider your input valid? Yes?

I need clarification on this sentence because I am unable to decipher it.

"Likewise, evolutions in language have be better at expressing thoughts."

Sorry, but isn't this what the OP is talking about?

I don't think the OP was talking about evolution. It came up later by those defending illiteracy.

Perhaps if you still harbor an objection you might express it more plainly(?).

It came up later by those defending illiteracy.

Hmm, congratulations, I feel deftly misconstrued, now!

I believe his philosophy William, is, "Write as I say, not as I write." We've had the stones and glass houses chat, but to no avail --

RE: "we who dislike it should just stand back and salute it" actually, I was going to suggest that you do something FAR different from that --

Only extinct species and dead languages fail to evolve.

Only extinct species and dead languages fail to evolve.

True. But species and languages evolve in a process by which they survive by being improvements over what came before, not just different.

RE: "they survive by being improvements over what came before"

Improvements for whom? Computer geeks of the '80's invented words and phrases, "bits," "bytes" "megs," "gigs," that eventually worked their way into the general language, but which at first, were only intended as a means for inter-discipline communication. "Texters" don't much care if you or I understand their language or not, as their own members do, and that's all they need.

For those specific groups, the evolution of the language IS an improvement - for THEM - in terms of communication - and they may, or may not, make it into the general language bank.

"There once was a man with a tongue of wood,
Who essayed to sing,
And in truth, it was lamentable,
But there was one, who understood what the man wished to sing,
And with that, the singer was content."

I'm concerned about what people have to say, far more than I am about how they say it.

Just reread the subject line of the post. We're talking about bad grammar and spelling which is something applying to individuals, not sublanguages used by subgroups which are systematic in their own way.

What we're talking about is the linguistic equivalant of body odor.

Yeah, well, I've been meaning to talk to you about that - popping a breath mint every now and then probably wouldn't hurt either --

I was speaking of humans generally - you didn't think I meant Unseen, did you? That would have been unnecessarily sarcastic, and far be it from me --

That would be AN unseen donkey!

I sense a loss of innocence --:-(||> give up

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service