Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RE: "try to absorb some of this, yo"

You put the sizzle in the dizzle, Papito! Word!

All this carpizzling is drivizzling me crazizzly.

While I am not overly concerned with the broader debate, one of the points that does concern me is the use of the term 'elitism'.  That is a term which should be reserved things that are (call me 'crazy') elite.  Knowing how how to place basic punctuation or consult a dictionary doesn't really qualify in my books.

Also a point of concern: if you are playing the devil's advocate, does that mean I'm stuck playing God's advocate if I disagree?  Damn it!  Well played.  You win this round.  

I agree. Elitists don't promote basic standards. Elitists promote standards that people of mortal intelligence and skills can't hope to meet.

I agree with that, mostly. Perhaps I'm bending the meaning by assuming that 'elitism' can imply a positive, somewhat attainable (in principle) standard, even if never fully realized.

My own English skills are only a little better than average. Andrea suggested I use the word 'mavenry' instead of elitism. I used to use the phrase 'language snobbery'! I'm definitely open to suggestions. One way or another, I hope to refine the concept and words over time.

Ha, thanks for the win this round, and the correction! I will now abscond, with both well hidden in my warm, soft, hairy bosom. (That's about as poetic as I can get.)

Rather than "'language snobbery," how about, "Unseenery"? Has a nice ring to it --

I suppose it beats "Luthory." I like it!

Just because someone didn't get an A in English, does not mean they are not free-thinkers.

Furthermore why should their views be restricted?

If forums were restricted to the intellectual elite - then their views become largely invalid. Progression of an idea, theory (religion even) requires understanding & acceptance of the common people. Surely the objective of TA is to help enlighten those that are still under the spell of religion?

Having a grammer test for contributors is not going to help.

A good point you have made. Of course, lowercase letters at the start of sentences and inane abbreviations are enough to drive a man insane, though I hardly know y.

lol

Has someone recommended restricting their views?

It's not our problem, it's theirs. They are crippled both in expressing their views and in being taken seriously. Think back. When was the last time any profound or important statement was also illiterate?

There are people here, in this thread who are saying they're emotionally affected (e.g. disgusted) by careless writers. So it's not just "the poor writers'" problem.

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service