Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2948

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't care too much, but I have to admit I chuckled at the "hippocrate" discussion.

Let's start by recognizing that some here (a few) are not native English speakers. That said...

"Hippocrates" was the first thing I noticed in that subject line. But what hit me was the relation to the Hippocratic Oath doctors take. That goes back to an ancient Greek physician after whom the oath was named.

I guess I'm a grammar Nazi. Not that I never make mistakes, but I'm sure I don't come across as someone who was out smoking weed behind the 7-11 instead of attending English class.

Being unable to form sentences in standard English is something I would associate with a general lack in education. I doubt if many native speakers can be a dunce when it comes to writing English while also being a brilliant attorney, brain surgeon, or even insurance salesman. So, right off I tend to discount the content of what an illiterate person writes.

Quite frankly, some of these people need to understand that writing in an illiterate manner can cost them a job they might otherwise have had, an apartment they'd like to rent, or even the prospect of getting into bed with that hot person they just met. Maybe some people can switch between competent English and illiterate-speak, but I doubt it.

Frankly, I suspect that most of the people who lack a firm grasp of English expression are victims of America's sadly undervalued and underfunded educational system. The state of American undergraduate education is a scandal and explains why our universities need to admit so many foreign students. If there were plenty of well-educated high school students, there would be far fewer slots available to foreigners. And I hold no grudge against foreigners. If I were them, I'd be doing my best to get into an American college, too!

It's a big problem for our institutions of higher education that they have to offer remedial courses in some subjects—but English grammar in particular—before incoming freshman can be let loose on their first "101" classes.

Is part of it kids becoming so accommodated to texting and chatroom shorthand that they can't distinguish between expressing themselves that way and a form of expression exhibiting mastery of an actual language skill? Perhaps, but another part of it, of course, is that now many of the elementary and high school teachers are also products of the same post-literate educational system.

I myself love English.. But,  think that my writing style may look strange to English speakers, that's because I'm not a native English speaker.. But ,I think that my writing is not bad..

I'm always interested in developing my English grammar and spelling..

All what I need is to focus on my writing skills now :P...

I also tweet in English because I think that English is a perfect language to express myself... Really simple, easy and perfect..

First off, non-native speakers get a general pass just for trying. Secondly, there is little to criticize other than end sentences with just one period, unless you end them with three. Three periods can indicate an elliptical thought (a thought left up to the reader to fill in) or they can indicate words deleted from a quote. Stick to one period most of the time unless you have a specific reason to use three. Two periods doesn't really mean anything.

Your lesson for the day.

Except for those letters I don't know how to make, with which you spell your name, which I can only assume is "Hope," I've never seen anything wrong with anything you've written - even those letters aren't "wrong," just impossible (for me) to duplicate.

ĦѺṔℰ

woohoo! i don't know how to key it in, but copy/paste works (on my screen)

ROPE?

When I first pasted it, the font was larger and looked ok, with that line at the top of the H appearing narrower. But the TA/ning editor took away the formatting. So I messed with html and got this, with the same copy/paste of HOPE text:

ĦѺṔℰ

Hmm, NOPE, still not right. I give up for now.

OVER AND OUT.

Woo! when I copied and pasted it, it turned so huge!

Well, I'm using a tool called Encool ..

Ħø℘ε

ℋø℘ε

Hahaha! It's no longer a secret now!

Bookmarked!

Screwing with the HTML is fun - I can make my text any color I like --

"Over" is an invitation to transmit. "Out" means I'm off the air. So "over and out" essentially means answer me but I won't be here. Only works with Lloyd Bridges and Keystone Kops.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service