Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OR, and here's a thought Unseen - maybe you just don't know how to tell a joke --

Wouldn't that be lysdexic, then?

You've got my vote!

I'm only half with you, so I'll give an 'am' and a 'damn'.

Amen, and god-damn!

(But I do find paragraphs easier to read when they're broken up a bit.)

(:  <--- smiley faces, in good humor, despite of poor gramma --->  :)

Amen,,,,,,,,,,, its all about the Topic!!!!! not about the gawd-damn punctuation and spelling!!!!

All that bad stuff creates a distraction from the point the person wants to make and can lead to confusion as well.

First off, i am not a native english speaker. But i do think that spelling and sentence structure is important, If you talked to someone previously unknown to you and they talked the way some people write, you would probably think they are slightly superficial and, let´s face it, slightly stupid. 

If someone is talking in a foreign language it is of course different, Now, i don´t know when it was decided that  one has to speak properly but can write however they want but i know i wasn´t informed.

It is hard for me to take someone seriously who cannot write a proper text in their own language, call me superficial.

You write very well in a second language. What excuse is there for an American or Englishman who can't write as well. Setting aside for a moment people with learning disabilities, why can't we write? Distracted by dope? Dropping out in order to have more time for video games? 

It says something about someone who had an education dropped in their lap and they had something that appealed to them more.

You must have a tall ladder to get on your horse every morning.
You're superficial.
You're welcome, no charge.

I spell words the English way, despite my spellchecker trying to Americanise me (Americanize) - yes I am certain that there's a way to change that but I can't be arsed to look for it.  Consequently, every time I see the word 'Colour' typed as 'Color" or one of the other myriad of parallel words Americanised, it gives me a micro-pause in the flow of reading. As a result, typos and similar mistakes fall in the same miniscule irritation category and can be ignored.

It's harder to gloss over the obvious switches, like reign for rein, or vane for vain, or all the 'their, there, they're' substitutions, but it's hardly cause over which to break out in a sweat.

I do take great delight in reading well worded and artistically gratifying prose, but it's a personal pleasure thing, and its absence is pretty much expected.

Communication is just that - a way of communicating.  As long as I understand what you wrote, it's all good.

As far as the OP comment goes, however, why on earth should TA members hold themselves to a higher standard of written perfection than any other group?  If a post hurts your eyes, don't bloody read it.  How hard can this be?

The 'u' for 'you' text-speak I believe was in response to the initial restriction on cellphone texting characters, rather like tweets nowadays.  Also, in the UK at least, many cellphone plans charged users by the number of characters in any given text.  I find it jarring, the 'u' plays in my head as a kind of monkey grunt, but that's MY problem, and I will learn to get over it eventually.

I do know a pure American word...... drum-roll.....  Discombobulate.  Just look at that word!  Makes it as clear as day that Americans can't be trusted to invent their own language!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 7 minutes ago. 122 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service