Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2954

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the interest of World Peace, We might hereby declare "GFY" to be a positive greeting.

A possible response: "Why thank you, GFY to you, too! May Eros Bless You tonight."

If we're going to go that far, Your Whollyness, why not, "Why fuck you - fuck you very much!"

I like it. It played out in my head sounding like Elvis.

We don't need no stinking Modera

Although I agree that people should care about how they express themselves I felt that my less than stellar grammer was being attacked and I got a little too defensive.

@Danny - speaking of your post, re the river crossing you, if Mexico had had as extensive an immigration policy as the xenophobic Republicans are trying to force down our throats, Texans would still be called Texicans and speaking Spanish right now. I think that would be an improvement.

Funny you mentioned the Texans... They were invited to Texas and given land at a great discount and in exchange they were to become Mexican citizens, help fight off Apache raiders, and they had to convert to catholicism(at the time it was the official religion of Mexico the U.S. being one of the only countries without one). One of the reasons they fought was for religious freedom.

Imagine those arrogant Apaches. getting pissed off just because their land was stolen!

The Mexicans stole it from the Apaches, the Texicans stole it from the Mexicans, who's next, the Chinese? Naah, they'll just buy it with the money we're paying them to keep Walmart stocked with cheap consumer products.

People for whom English is a second language get a "pass" for trying. I think the concern here is for kids mostly who either never bothered to learn anything beyond spoken English or who try to cover up the areas of grammar they are unsure of by just not doing anything and pretending it's a creative "style." Some have even defended this illiteracy as part of the evolutionary growth of language. Okay, but then they to on and beg for us not to criticize. However, evolution progresses by eliminating what doesn't work well. So, if mistakes are not to be interpreted as mistakes but rather as just something new, then like anything new it must survive the forces in opposition. In nature, that would be predation and disease and the realities of the environment (e.g., climate). If language is to evolve, it needs those who object to new forms as well as those who propose them.

RE: "they to on and beg for us not to criticize" - your language evolution at work? --

No, just 65 year old fingers.

And from where did you get your amateur psychology degree? At least I'm qualified to discuss language.

RSS

Forum

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 1 hour ago. 19 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 47 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service