Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 3026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We are talking about egregiously bad spelling and grammar. You might call me a "grammar Nazi," but I will freely admit to being a grammar mortal. Most of the time I see my mistake upon a second glance, but not always. People who make the occasional mistake are NOT who we are talking about.

Why Unseen! What a pleasant surprise! That's a total crock - your response is neither a surprise, nor particularly pleasant, though I do take some enjoyment in your predictability.

RE: "People who make the occasional mistake are NOT who we are talking about." - so, just so I fully understand the rules, you're saying that if one were to accidentally say - oh, I don't know - "Luthor," when he intended to say, "Luther," that it's something we should all overlook?

I don't know about "adorable," but I DO think I've got the NBC Pecock beat all to hell --

Not if you can see him.

No Blaine, but I wouldn't discount the converse --

are grammar nazis the moral analog of texter dexters?

i'll delete this if nobody laughs

going once...

hehe my excuse is that I am dyslexic 

@Lars - Aaannddd English is not your first language - whereas most of the people on this site speak only one  - so you are doing REAALLLY well. I would guarantee there is bi-lingual-tri-lingual etc on this site. How clever are they?

I speak one, and that, not very well :)  How many languages do you speak.

RE: "my excuse is that I am dyslexic"

And my excuse is that I am dysfunctional, but I've never let that stop me --

You wouldn't be Italian, by any chance?

Sorry, Lars - just American humor, I mean, who could possibly have a name like Lars Nielsen, and not be Irish?

Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha.

RSS

Forum

Questions from an old member who hasn't been around in quite awhile...

Started by Rocky Oliver (LotusGeek) in Small Talk. Last reply by Rocky Oliver (LotusGeek) 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

New site

Started by umar in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 12 minutes ago. 45 Replies

gay marriage decision

Started by Dale Headley in Small Talk. Last reply by Beth yesterday. 5 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

My Purity Ring

Posted by Michelle Varni on July 5, 2015 at 7:18pm 2 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service