Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2953

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, defending "misuse" makes more sense to me than defending "illiteracy". 

I won't defend intentional illiteracy, but I do appreciate intelligent "misuse".

Unless you think literacy and illiteracy is a binary condition, there are shades of illiteracy. People who don't seem to know how to use capitalization, commas, periods, conjugate common verbs, and so on, are illiterate by degree.

I appreciate intelligent misuse where it belongs: in creative writing, not expository writing.

I think when grammar-nazism is brutally enforced it scares off younger more illiterate members who may be already having problems escaping religion. For me, clearly expressing an idea trumps the odd grammar/spelling mistake. Of course, if the grammar is egregiously bad then that's a different story. A balance in between should be found. 

We are talking about egregiously bad spelling and grammar. You might call me a "grammar Nazi," but I will freely admit to being a grammar mortal. Most of the time I see my mistake upon a second glance, but not always. People who make the occasional mistake are NOT who we are talking about.

Why Unseen! What a pleasant surprise! That's a total crock - your response is neither a surprise, nor particularly pleasant, though I do take some enjoyment in your predictability.

RE: "People who make the occasional mistake are NOT who we are talking about." - so, just so I fully understand the rules, you're saying that if one were to accidentally say - oh, I don't know - "Luthor," when he intended to say, "Luther," that it's something we should all overlook?

I don't know about "adorable," but I DO think I've got the NBC Pecock beat all to hell --

Not if you can see him.

No Blaine, but I wouldn't discount the converse --

In your estimation, are younger people less literate on average than older people?  I don't generally find this to be the case in my personal experiences, but admittedly, I have minimal interaction with teenagers.

are grammar nazis the moral analog of texter dexters?

i'll delete this if nobody laughs

going once...

hehe my excuse is that I am dyslexic 

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service