Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2953

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if all of the TA members with spelling issues understand that there is a build-in dictionary which will underline not just misspelled words but nouns that need to be capitalized. That is what those occasional blue underlinings are all about.

I wonder if all of the TA members with spelling issues understand that there is a build-in dictionary

Don't you mean a built-in dictionary? You see, the dictionary will not spot mistakes like this.

LOL

In my first post in this thread I mentioned that I'm not perfect either, and there you have an example. Actually, I did catch that error, but too late to fix it. I might have deleted the post and done it over, but I decided to see how long it took someone to  comment on it.

You're right. The spell checker isn't perfect, either, but it could have helped an unnamed member catch his misspelling of "Luther" as "Luthor." It also helps you know if a word should or should not be capitalized.

I just noticed that the underline for a misspelling isn't blue as I said, it's red. Further evidence of my humanity. In another thread I proposed that the ability to err is what makes us human. Animals simply make mistakes. Humans make errors (meaning that we do something wrong when we should know better).

RE: "evidence of my humanity" - now if you could only work on your humility --

RE: "I just noticed that the underline for a misspelling isn't blue as I said, it's red."

I could have told you that, but you don't take correction well.

Now you're making things up. Three instances, please.

As Nelson from The Simpsons (where I get all of my culture) would say, "Haa, Haa!"

Spin off two new websites so all people have more choice?

elite:  ThinkAtheistically.com (slogan: I am Atheist, and So Can You)

ignoranter:  ThinkAtheisticly.com (slogan: im atheist and u can 2)

ThinkAtheist.com and i-b-athiest.com

I place most of the blame on the Twitter World and people being in too big a hurry to proofread their posts and do a simple spell check with their own eyes and brain if noting else before posting.  I agree with you in full and it has pained me for decades that a lot of people don’t know simple verb conjugation of “see”!  One hears seen being used for saw all the time and it sounds so dunderheaded when one says “I seen it coming or "I seen him do it”; infuriating!

RE: "always had difficulty in my life with grammar" - I know what you mean, I always had trouble with Grampar, but I'd just give him a cookie and he's go away --

I, too, blame an educational system that let's people get by without helping them. My own daughter had a learning disability which was only identified once she was in college. She got fair grades in high school but once she got help, she became one of the best students in her class.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service