Disappointment with the grammar and spelling of some TA users

I've noticed that many of the forum discussions that TA has tweeted lately have contained glaring grammatical and spelling errors.  I find this disappointing and even personally embarrassing as it inevitably reflects not only on the original poster but on the forum as a whole and, by extension, the larger atheist community.  I know written communication isn't everything, and it certainly isn't a high priority among the public generally, but we should try to meet a higher standard.  Given the unlikelihood that individual posters will suddenly take more care when writing, I think the operators of the site's Twitter feed should consider not tweeting discussion titles with serious errors.

That's one poster's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Tags: grammar, spelling

Views: 2967

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sagacious, as long as we're on the subject, and with all due respect, in the spelling of the word, "can't," the apostrophe comes before the "t."

This is what it would be like if we had grammar and punctuation police - I know what you intended to say, and the content was more important to me than precisely how you said it, so if precision weren't the subject of this thread, I would have overlooked that error entirely.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm a stickler for grammar and punctuation myself. I have my own website, and I've been known to go all the way back into a post, just to add or delete a comma, and I normally proof my comments here two or three times, just to make sure I've made no mistakes, and still, I'll find, after I've submitted it, that here and there, I've occasionally hit the wrong key. If I want to say, "find," and I accidentally type, "fine," since "fine" is a legitimate word, spell-check doesn't flag it and I may not notice it. Then too, on occasion, I've been known to delete whole comments and re-post them, just to make a correction.

On the other hand, I've seen some good people on these threads - good people with good hearts and who have something worthy to say, who, for whatever reason, from carelessness to dyslexia or dysgraphia, make spelling mistakes. If attention were drawn to those errors, that person might comment less or not at all, and the board would be the poorer for it.

Good catch! It's really that I'm a terrible typist. :P

I'm not saying we need a grammar police, but I do wish that people would make an effort. If it's just that a person doesn't know the rules, then maybe we could do an online crash course? Regardless of what we do, it's a solvable problem, but when people just don't seem to care about the way in which they communicate with others... Well, it suffices to say that error-riddled writing detracts from any point a person is trying to make and personally, I am far less inclined to read it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. If someone is willing to make an honest attempt, then that's fair enough.

I'd like to think that people would want to master their language.

RE: "I'd like to think that people would want to master their language."

The thing of it is, is language, like most everything else, evolves. Por ejemplo:

"Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye-
(So priketh hem Nature in hir corages);"

That's a bit of Chaucer's English - my language is English as well, but there's little resemblance. The word or phrase that is odd today, may find itself in tomorrow's dictionary. Homer Simpson's "D'Oh!" was just admitted to the Oxford Dictionary only a couple of years ago.

If someone here wanted to post exclusively in Middle English, my average opinion of TA posters' writing skills would substantially increase. :)

Granted, it wouldn't be an effective way to get one's point across, but it would be really impressive nevertheless.

Love it! Encore! Encore!

I'd hope so, too. It's why I like to joke that I haven't learned any others. I'm still trying to get this one right!

"but I do wish that people would make an effort." I should have said, "I wish those who don't make the effort would change and decide to make an effort."

Almost all posters here do well when it comes to written communication. I unwittingly implied that wasn't the case.

I think you'll find that most of the ones here whose grip on capitalization punctuation is weak and who use texting/chatting shortcuts are among our teenage members. Teaching them that that sloppiness doesn't go in the "real world" of business and scholarship is actually doing them a service.

so you honestly think it is correct to make sweeping judgements on a persons formal writing skill based solely upon their informal posts on a web forum? Just because i cant be bothered with capitilization or making certain every single word is spelled correctly here, in an informal setting ,how does that then translate into me not being able to do it when required in a formal setting?or do you think we simply can not tell the difference between a forum post and a job application?

also usin this sort of riting on a foum, can , be mildly ,amusin simply to anoy all the comma fuckers on these type of forums'

Yes. In many cases. Sure.

Also, what drudgery it must be for some to capitalize and punctuate. If someone finds THAT to be an intolerable burden, why would I want to hire him to do things so much more difficult than that?

If you can't be bothered to do things like writing well when communicating to others through writing, then how can I expect you to do other things well... like do research, learn, read, or be able to understand what I am saying. We're not saying, "get everything correct or be banned." We are imploring you to try.

"also usin this sort of riting on a foum, can , be mildly ,amusin simply to anoy all the comma fuckers on these type of forums'"

Or it can be heinously difficult to read and then we will just begin to ignore all your posts so even if you have anything intelligent to contribute, we will never know. It'll be like you don't even exist, but hey, that's on you.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service